Draw wt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw wt question

What the minimum you woul want your kid to be pulling to hunt?
    My daughter is ten. Shes shooting mission menace at 21" dl and about 22#. Shes wanting to hunt this yr. She doesnt like guns, but loves bows. I can get her set up at about 10yds hopefully from a doe. Do u think shes pulling enuff wt? Arrows are gt 3555 cut about 24.5"
    I was thinking about getting her some 125gr 2 blade stingers. Thoughts? Any other bh i should think about?

Or do i wait til shes pulling close to 30#?

Thx in advance

I am glad to see that she's interested in hunting. I don't know if 22# is quite enough especially with a 125gr head. I wouldn't think the KE would be there. Subscribed to see what others have to say even though it will be a while before I get to worry about it (1st baby due in December).

Comment

I wouldn't want to chance it at all, not unless she can start pulling the bow more often to get to at least 30lbs . But you still want not to over do it with the pulling TOO much at a time , then she can hurt herself.

Comment

Up until 2008 or 09 TPWD required at least 40 lb draw weight. I dont think I would ever hunt with less than 35-40lbs even with 125gr 2 blades

Comment

Ok

Comment

Anymore thoughts? Might take her on a ram hunt in the spring.

Comment

Get her a cheap crossbow until she can pull 40 lbs. That's what I did with my son.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                Get her a cheap crossbow until she can pull 40 lbs. That's what I did with my son.
                Not bad idea.

Comment

30-35# will the right arrow set up and with a kiddo the closer the shot the better. Like 15 yrds and under if possible. Have her learn placement more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Csmith52779 View Post
                    30-35# will the right arrow set up and with a kiddo the closer the shot the better. Like 15 yrds and under if possible. Have her learn placement more than anything.
                    Sambo, this for sure. I was skeptical bout my son at first last year. As it turned out we didn't have a place to bowhunt so it became a moo point. After watching him and others his age(12) shoot, I'd be comfortable with 30-35#'s. Provided it was the opputune shot. Otherwise, keep slingin em! Perfect practice makes perfect!

Comment

Limit shots to 15 yards, get her to as much as she can pull, even if that is 22lbs. Don't go 125 head, go 100 and let her shoot. It will get the job done and if you don't let her she may not be interested next year.

Comment

I bought my ol lady a spyder 30 that just came in last week. I ordered 40lb limbs and turned it down to 26lbs. 26" DL with 27" arrows (Fmj's)

2 friggen days, and she's putting 5 arrow groups in a 4" circle at 20yds. The arrows with field tips are going almost going vane deep in this year's fresh, tight hay bales. I think itd kill a deer with a hellrazor on it.

We cranked it to 29ish lbs and she can still draw comfortably. Hoping to get her in the low to mid thirties (at LEAST) and keep shots under 20yds.

I don't know if 22lbs at that DL would get it done.

Comment

Let her shoot rabbits, got to keep her interested .

Comment

I would look for a 85 grain cut on contact head like a Magnus stinger 2 blade. Do not go heavier with the head because she will she shooting too slow. You need to find a way to speed that arrow up a little, and don't even worry about spine.

22 is a little low IMO, but with the proper shot placement it could be done. Quartering away only. No broadside!!

Comment

Thx guys

Comment

Working...
                              X