cleaing a turkey and leaving proff of sex on the bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaing a turkey and leaving proff of sex on the bird

Turkey: in counties where the bag composition is restricted to gobblers and/or bearded hens, a male turkey is required to have one leg, including the spur, attached to the bird; or the bird, accompanied by a patch of skin with breast feathers and beard attached. In counties where the harvest of female turkeys is restricted to bearded hens, all harvested hens must be accompanied by a patch of skin with breast feathers attached.

I dont suppose there is a way to breast out a bird and leave both proff of sex on the bird. How are some of you guys cleaning your birds leaving the proff on? Going hunting next weekend and it's been many years since I killed a turkey.

Thanks!

Marty

I don't shoot bearded hens, so I skin it, pull entrails out, wash good and leave one or both legs attached.

Comment

It would be for gobblers. Are you plucking or skining it out (breasting it?)

Comment

I TAG, pluck them while they are warm, remove innards from south side, chop off the head, de-wing, remove gullet leave the beard only, and the legs till I get home, stuff in bag and in cooler.. maybe I have been doing it wrong. usually breast out at home, not any work at all to pluck if warm (within 15 minutes)

Comment

Just as Playa, completely skinned, wings off, and stick it in a cooler until you get to "final". Probably overkill, bag up the skin, feathers and take it with you as additional proof. Don't forget the tag.

Comment

Subscribed...

Comment

Hmmmm....all these years I have been breasting them and taking the spurs and beards home attached to the ziploc the meat is in...got checked once and the GW didn't say anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Hmmmm....all these years I have been breasting them and taking the spurs and beards home attached to the ziploc the meat is in...got checked once and the GW didn't say anything...
                Same here. I breast out completely (no plucking), pull the beard, and cut the spurs and fan. Tag on a ziptie around the spurs. All goes in the cooler

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                  Same here. I breast out completely (no plucking), pull the beard, and cut the spurs and fan. Tag on a ziptie around the spurs. All goes in the cooler
                  Me too. No troubles yet.

Comment

Take a sharp knife and go around the **** and gently pull it our a little. Take a rubber band and wrap it around the part that you have pulled out and make sure it is secure. Then take your knife and open the rear of the bird and reach up in and bring out all the insides. Take your knife and reach up into the cavity and cut it off as far us as possible. Bring the internal parts out and discard. Now you have the bird field dressed. Be sure you have the tag on the bird and then take it home and continue the cleaning process to your satisfaction. There will be no problem with the wardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
                      Take a sharp knife and go around the **** and gently pull it our a little. Take a rubber band and wrap it around the part that you have pulled out and make sure it is secure. Then take your knife and open the rear of the bird and reach up in and bring out all the insides. Take your knife and reach up into the cavity and cut it off as far us as possible. Bring the internal parts out and discard. Now you have the bird field dressed. Be sure you have the tag on the bird and then take it home and continue the cleaning process to your satisfaction. There will be no problem with the wardens.
                      That's kinda hard to do hunting five hours away...I can see it if I lived near where I hunted.

Comment

I breast em out and keep both the breasts and the rest of the bird in the cooler. That way it cools down quick and I have proof. After I get home I clean the breast meat up and vacuum pack it and cut the meat off the leg/thigh for soup or stew or whatever ( gotta cook it low and slow cuz its TOUGH ).

Comment

Thanks every one. I thought about putting the beard and leg with the meat but knowing my luck I would get a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Cur_Dog View Post
                            Thanks every one. I thought about putting the beard and leg with the meat but knowing my luck I would get a ticket.
                            I have always just breasted out the bird then taped the beard, tag and 1 leg together and brought it home. Seems from this post that I have always been illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigSticker View Post
                              I have always just breasted out the bird then taped the beard, tag and 1 leg together and brought it home. Seems from this post that I have always been illegal.
                              Ain't gonna lie, I'm going to keep doing it the 'illegal' way. Pretty obvious it was a gobbler when you have the spurs, fan, and beard.

Comment

Working...
                              X