Opinions on wounded deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on wounded deer

Put what I thought was a great shot on a buck this morning. He was facing me head on and I put the crosshairs right at the base of his white patch. Deer piled up for 5 minutes until I got out of the stand to go see him. Soon as I opened the door he started rolling around on the ground then jumped up and ran dragging his head as he went. There was great blood at the site and what looked to be good for about 50 yards past that and then it started slowing down. Followed blood for almost half a mile but no deer was ever found. Think he is going to live? Figured he lost so much blood he would have died but did a grid search of the whole property and found nothing. Any Opinions? Shooting a Winchester. 243 95 gr ballistic silver tip if that helps any

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's dead

Comment

But where is the thing? Searched our property and the next with nothing

Comment

Get a dog on him

Comment

Bottom is where we started and top is where we lost blood. And that's just the straight line he went all over the place

Comment

Bullet shocks the spine, temporarily paralyzingly them. Maybe you got lucky and hit the jugular but, if that's the case, they will usually be within 200 yards.
            I don't take tracks for botched neck shots anymore because we almost never find them.

Comment

If there is water that’s where he is

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                If there is water that’s where he is
                Went to both ponds in the picture wasn't there either. That was my first thought but after he stopped bleeding it just went cold

Comment

Sorry to hear you haven’t found your deer yet hope you do find him soon.

Comment

Im sure the deer is dead. As said before....... But where? Good luck to you. I shot one broadside one time, right behind the shoulder, followed blood for a mile and then it just stopped. Never did find the deer. They are amazing animals at times

Comment

It just baffles me that the one time that shot d oesnt actually drop them dead is when it's on the biggest deer I've ever seen. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Bullet shocks the spine, temporarily paralyzingly them. Maybe you got lucky and hit the jugular but, if that's the case, they will usually be within 200 yards.
                        I don't take tracks for botched neck shots anymore because we almost never find them.
                        But we see TBHers all the time swearing a neck or head shot is either a clean miss or dead right there

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          But we see TBHers all the time swearing a neck or head shot is either a clean miss or dead right there
                          Well not has been for the last 10 years. Guess it just takes one to mess it up

Comment

Either dead or will be

Sorry you didn't find him

Comment

Doesn’t sound like the ideal shot placement, IMO. Hope you are able to find him.

Comment

Working...
                              X