Makes me sick to my stomach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me sick to my stomach

Sat my new feeder for the first time on Saturday morning and had a nice eight and small six point come in early. Nothing else that morning, so I came back yesterday. The feeder went off and I immediately saw movement of deer coming in. As it lightened up a little more I could see it was the eight point, so I drew, settled the 30 yard pin and let her fly. I knew immediately I made a bad shot, as the arrow looked to hit high. I waited a half hour and then checked the feeder. No blood. I waited another half hour and checked about a hundred yards around the feeder. No blood. I checked the area behind him and no evidence of an arrow or blood. A friend cameout and we eventually found some blood, but not enough to get me excited. Tracked this guy for 1 1/2 miles through some rough stuff, with only an occasional drop or two of blood. I hunt military property and they told me I couldn't use a dog to find him. I'm hoping he lives, but I get the sick feeling he's coyote bait. I wanted to go back this morning and look for the buzzards, but can't break away from work. I've been over the shot at least a hundred times and I really don't know what went wrong. Buck fever maybe. Makes me want to quit bow hunting!
    Last edited by ebluvr72; 11-21-2011, 09:20 AM.

Good Luck finding him or next time.

Comment

You probally got the dead spot between the lungs and spine. It happens man dont get to upset from it and LEARN from it. Ive made great shots and then 20 min later made a shot that was AWEFULL. It happens.

Comment

if you followed the deer that far with that little blood more than likely will be fine, had one shot through the backstraps do that and she showed up again at the feeder within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by HandiKap Bowhunter View Post
          You probally got the dead spot between the lungs and spine. It happens man dont get to upset from it and LEARN from it. Ive made great shots and then 20 min later made a shot that was AWEFULL. It happens.
          That spot doesn't exist

Comment

If you hit him high, remember to look for blood high up on leaves and branches as he goes by. His blood is coming out, but it may not make it all the way to the ground. He will rub it off on any higher branches and leaves that he passes. Scan your eyes four feet high, side to side, as well as on the ground. Same rules tracking high as tracking on dirt. See some sign, it validates your direction, punch out your radius out a few feet, arc back and forth until you cut more sign that validates direction. Repeat.

Tracking by blood trail is good if it is steady, but do not forget about tracking hoof prints from the point of impact. Shot animals will be stressed and will kick more dirt, roll rocks, and step on grass, tear through vines, that points their direction of travel. They will head for thick brush and thorny stuff. If they are not hit too bad, they may deviate from the downhill path of least resistance. Moving through that terrain takes effort, so their hooves have to dig in more and they leave more sign than if they are just strolling around nibbling.

You tracked yours a mile and a half. That is a lot more than most will do. Don't quit the bow.

Comment

Working...
            X