Need CAS Gunsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need CAS Gunsmith

Looking for a gunsmith in the Tomball/North Houston area that you know does Cowboy Action Shooting work. Need action job on Cimarron 1897 12 gauge.

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
    Looking for a gunsmith in the Tomball/North Houston area that you know does Cowboy Action Shooting work. Need action job on Cimarron 1897 12 gauge.
    Id imagine any experienced gunsmith could do the shotgun action job.. I'd look for the shotgun clubs, there atleast 2 in Conroe and probably more outside that.. there will definitely be some good recommendations from those folks

Comment

CAS 97s are not your normal action job. Don't know of anyone in your area but Boomstick Jay (Jason Widmer) up in the Dallas area does solid work. I do most of my own work on 97's but have used him for work that required welding that I don't do. www.boomstickarms.com
      Last edited by Billy Bad Bass; 02-17-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
        CAS 97s are not your normal action job. Don't know of anyone in your area but Boomstick Jay (Jason Widmer) up in the Dallas area does solid work. I do most of my own work on 97's but have used him for work that required welding that I don't do. www.boomstickarms.com
        Do you have any tips since you do your own work? What should I do?

Comment

There isn't much that I would expect you to do yourself with a 97 unless you really understand how they work. I've spent the last 6 years working to figure them out and still don't know it all. That's why I suggested Jason.

We may want to take this off line and continue the discussion. What is it doing or not doing that you want to fix? How do you load? Do you ever visit clubs in the Austin area? I'll be at Winter Range this week/weekend. Probably shoot Plum Creek Mar 3. (Lockhart TX)

Comment

I just got it and have barely begun getting ready to TRY CAS for the first time. I just have heard that it needs work and it is very stiff and I notice that I have to push the fore-end forward to allow it to slide back to cycle the action.

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
              I notice that I have to push the fore-end forward to allow it to slide back to cycle the action.

Mostly it will require deburring and polishing. the activity that I quoted is normal. It is a safety function. You learn quickly to keep forward pressure on the pump as you fire. Once you get the feel for it, recoil starts helping you and you don't even notice it...until the next time you dry fire.

I'd take a look at it with you but I'm in Austin and am going to be pretty busy the next few weeks. If you get over this way let me know.

Where are you planning to shoot in your area?

Comment

Either Thunder River Renegades or another place a TBH member was looking into.

Comment

Up

Comment

Working...
                  X