Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Unhappy FYI - Gout sucks!

Woke up Saturday morning with my left foot killing me. Monday went to he foot doc and found out it is gout. I've never had this before and wouldn't wish it on anybody! Got some meds for it, but haven't been to work this week. Come hell or high water I'm going tomorrow. I'm running out of time off.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

amen. I am 36 and have it in my left big toe. when it acts up it is horrible
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
amen. I am 36 and have it in my left big toe. when it acts up it is horrible
Yep. Exactly where I get it. Cherry juice helps. Eating a lot of protein, especially red meat and shellfish, and alcohol seem to be the trigger for me.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
docmay
Pope & Young

Luckily mine is well controlled with meds. Mine was always in my ankles. It is hell and feels like my joints are full of ground glass. Good luck with the meds. I took allopurinol for years and did pretty well. I take uloric now and haven’t had a flare in probably 2 years.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
docmay
Pope & Young

Luckily mine is well controlled with meds. Mine was always in my ankles. It is hell and feels like my joints are full of ground glass. Good luck with the meds. I took allopurinol for years and did pretty well. I take uloric now and havenít had a flare in probably 2 years.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Allopurinol is your friend. Have had 2 or 3 bad bouts of it over the years and since I started taking it I've not had one flare up. Ruined a bear hunt in Canada for me once. Used to get it in my ankles and it was horrible.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

I must have a form of it or arthritis. Mine is in my ankle. Hurts most when I take my shoe off and prop my feet up. Like someone's jabbing a knife in it for about 30 minutes . It hurts some during the day but nothing like when I first get off of my feet.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
Hunterlo70
Eight Point

I've had it twice before right after consuming pork. Since I've cut it out of my diet or at least eating pork sparingly, I've never had it again. It's been years but yeah, it totally sucks!
Hunterlo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

It is in my left big toe also. I'm not sure what meds I have. Last night was my first dose. Hopefully it works. The only food that might have triggered it is shrimp. We don't have them very often but had shrimp for dinner last Thursday.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I’ve heard how horrible it is, hopefully you can get it under control.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Drink A LOT of water!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Hunterlo70
Eight Point

Lots of water and ibuprofen to help relieve the pain. It will also help with inflammation.
Hunterlo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Oh.... and ice it for swelling!
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

left big toe here also! Usually have a flare up once or twice a year. The last one was so bad i actually went to the Dr. and he prescribed me Colchosine, not sure if that's how its spelled, but it's close! Was a life saver for me!!
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
Twipper333
Six Point

Hunt In: Ballinger, Valera, wherever I can.

Had it terribly in my right ankle twice - pinpointed the flare-ups to Coors Light - I haven't had a Coors Light since and I haven't had gout since either! Had both Colchrys and Prednisone prescribed to me both times and it knocked it right out.

Last edited by Twipper333; 10-16-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: .
Twipper333 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
Yep. Exactly where I get it. Cherry juice helps. Eating a lot of protein, especially red meat and shellfish, and alcohol seem to be the trigger for me.
same and cherry juice helps me as well
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Had one episode and it was in my right knee joint. I couldn't even stand up. I was fortunate to be on a lease with a podiatrist. He told me to take tylenol and when they went to town brought back a large can of black pitted cherries and told me to drink all the juice and eat all the cherries. It worked. Next morning I was fine except for my exit hole. Apparently this is an old truck drivers remedy and the antioxidant properties of the cherries flushes out the uric acid buildup that causes the arthritic attack.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #18
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Find your trigger. I also get it. Tart cherry juice and lots of water. Need to flush it out of your system.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #19
Keith
Administrator

I've had gout several times. I am almost certain my worst case was caused by summer sausage, Both of my big toes hurt so bad I could barely walk. That was 2 years ago, and so far I haven't had to have medicine for it. My last flare up was after after eating shrimp about a 9 months ago. I ate the Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster yesterday, so far, so good. I ate enough shrimp yesterday that I would be in a wheelchair today if it causes a flare up this time. LOL
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #20
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
left big toe here also! Usually have a flare up once or twice a year. The last one was so bad i actually went to the Dr. and he prescribed me Colchosine, not sure if that's how its spelled, but it's close! Was a life saver for me!!
I think that is the medication I got. I hope it works.

I think part of the problem is not getting enough water. In the shop we can't have food or drinks in our work area. I'm all the way across the shop from a fountain and don't get to drink much water during the day.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #21
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Used to get an attack every couple of months. 300 mg allopurinol daily takes care of it nicely.
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #22
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

I know you know this, but dehydration is bad news for a lot of things.... stay hydrated!!

When my best friend had a stroke a few months ago, they told him he was really dehydrated and dehydration causes your blood to run thicker. They chalked it up as one of the contributing factors of his stroke.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

It was probably the shrimp that set it off. Just take everything that we all like such as red meat, wild game, seafood, booze, etc and most all of those are bad triggers for gout.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #24
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I had it bad in my feet a while back. Psyatic (sp?) nerve pain as well. Got meds for both. It helped.

A little over a year ago my bloodwork came back bad. High cholesterol and triglycerides as well as a fatty liver. Got meds.

Decided to make a lifestyle change. I was a fat out of shape alcoholic. Was the latter the cause of the liver. Oh no. please don't be.

Started exercising, eating healthy and low fat. Drinking at last 64 ounces of water a day. Cut back on the booze. In a month my bloodwork was all good. Currently I am between 200-205 lbs. That's down 30+. Gout is gone. No issues. Knocks on wood.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #25
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default I am with doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
Luckily mine is well controlled with meds. Mine was always in my ankles. It is hell and feels like my joints are full of ground glass. Good luck with the meds. I took allopurinol for years and did pretty well. I take uloric now and havenít had a flare in probably 2 years.
My gout is well controlled with uloric ,
Tried everything and nothing worked ( home remedies were useless) till Uloric good stuff
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #26
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Well, I'm back at the shop toughing it out. The meds haven't kicked in yet, but I'm out of time off. It is feeling a little better though.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #27
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Had a gout flair up about six years ago. Thought I had broken my toe, doc x rayed and then said gout. He proceeded to insert a very large needle into my joint and extracted some fluid. The needle hurt like hell, but the pain subsided and then I went on Uloric for a few years. Last year I switched to allopurinol. I’ve recently dropped from 300 mg to 100 mg daily and have had no issues. Good luck.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

That stuff is painful, I had it so bad that they gave me a steroid shot near my big toe. I walked on crutches for 3 days after that. I take 300mg of Allupurinol 3 times a week for ten years now.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #29
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

go to an urgent care and get a script for indomethacin (sp) and prednisone.. I had a flare up on my overnight shift and went to the local urgent care.. got scribed above meds, went to cvs and had them filled immediately.. drank a ton of cherry juice and water.. the next night I played a football game. The indomethacin is a miracle drug for gout..

start taking allopurinol daily and you shouldn't have to ever worry with it again.
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #30
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
Had a gout flair up about six years ago. Thought I had broken my toe, doc x rayed and then said gout. He proceeded to insert a very large needle into my joint and extracted some fluid. The needle hurt like hell, but the pain subsided and then I went on Uloric for a few years. Last year I switched to allopurinol. Iíve recently dropped from 300 mg to 100 mg daily and have had no issues. Good luck.
Do I need a script for these or are they OTC? Where can I find cherry juice? All I have found is mixed with other juices.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #31
Rigging Cooks
Four Point

I get a script from Dr. Allupurinol it's not expensive I take one every day and NO GOUT!
Rigging Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #32
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Prayers up for you. Gout is no joke..
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #33
Tyrex750
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

Go to the urgent care and get a steroid and pain shot. U will be good as new in a couple hours. When I get a flair up, that's what I have to do and it knocks it out within a couple hours
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #34
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Do I need a script for these or are they OTC? Where can I find cherry juice? All I have found is mixed with other juices.
Gonna have to see the doc for the Alluprinol. I never had any luck with cherry juice or home remedies for Gout, might be the severity of it though.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #35
Nplattii
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
My gout is well controlled with uloric ,
Tried everything and nothing worked ( home remedies were useless) till Uloric good stuff
This is me. Even tried doing the baking soda and lemon juice thing. Allipurinol worked for a while, but finally switched to Uloric. Total game changer for me.
Nplattii is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #36
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Agreed...

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=720802

Don't take Allopurinol during an outbreak. Colchicine is your friend right now.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #37
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Just had my first attack back in August.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #38
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Just had my first attack back in August.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
This was my first also. Sucks don't it.

Meds must have finally kicked in. Woke up way better this morning. Still some pain, but not near what it was before. The meds y'all are talkin about, are the a diuretic? I have issues with them and can't take them.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #39
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Gout is the devil. I know too well. Controlled right now. Good luck.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #40
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Yes, it's no fun. I had it on the heads of my left 1st and 2nd metatarsal. Thought I had broken my metatarsal again! Foot was so swollen I couldn't get my shoe on for 3 days! Took two weeks for the swelling to fully reside. Colcrys and an INSAID was what was prescribe for the immediate. He wrote two others for long term care at reducing uric acid levels. But I'm gonna try controlling it with my diet first before starting two more prescriptions. I'm already on 4 others besides the gout attach ones. I had just adjusted my food intake to reduce weight and PB back at the first of June. No more beef or pork from the store since June. And I had just gone for a very long bike ride 2 days before the flair up. So I had to readjust my diet again after the attack. I had been consuming to much tuna, salmon, asparagus by the can, Portabellum mushrooms, colliflour, spenich, and mixed greens. I was pretty much a vegan for two weeks after the attack. But have been reading a lot on it. And have developed a diet that has helped me reduce the chances of flair ups.

And BTW, I've lost 48 lbs so far.
20-25 more lbs to go. Going back to the "all natural wild meat diet" I used to be on up till 6-7 years ago. I do buy chicken breast and turkey breast from the store. consuing no more than 4 oz max at a time 2-4 times week. But am also limiting the saltwater fish consumption. No shell fish or red meat fish. Most fresh water fish is OK if not fried. Nothing fried! Nothing!

Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #41
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Luckily meat doesn't bother me. I do eat mostly low fat chicken, pork and fish. All grilled or smoked. Rarely fried. I enjoy some fried chicken, fish or a cheeseburger on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #42
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
I get black cherry juice in a big jug from Aldiís
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #43
bofos
Spike

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
It is in my left big toe also. I'm not sure what meds I have. Last night was my first dose. Hopefully it works. The only food that might have triggered it is shrimp. We don't have them very often but had shrimp for dinner last Thursday.
I get it occasionally in my toe but the worst is in my knee. Shrimp triggers mine as well.
I can't take allopurinol so I just try to avoid the flares. Try cherry juice and celery seed extract. When I start to get one I'll take Colchicine and usually that takes care of it.
If flare come on I hotfoot it to doc in the box and get a torradol shot and a steroid shot (usually Kenalog but there are others) and a six day Medrol pack. I'm back on my feet usually the next day. I normally don't get more than one a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
bofos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #44
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

I feel like I'm starting to get dehydrated. May stop by the ER on the way home for an IV. Due to shop regulations, I can not drink enough water to keep up with this medication. I'm doing the best I can.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #45
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Lack of water intake can be another trigger. Hope you can get something figured out that you can live with brother.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #46
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Lack of water intake can be another trigger. Hope you can get something figured out that you can live with brother.
I have been in a 3 year battle down here about this. I have friends and know many people in the machining trade all over the state. This is the only shop I know of that won't allow water bottles or some type of vessel for drinking at the machines. Us older folks more than any need plenty of water. Most medications require lots of water. I don't get even half of what is recommended daily.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #47
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Woke up yesterday morning feeling like crap. Wife took me to the ER for an IV. I stopped the gout meds. I just don't get enough water during the day to keep up with a diuretic.