No announcement yet.

Head shot didn't work.... yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy looking. Not sure why anyone would try and shoot one in the head.
    Lot more success shooting them like a deer, double lunging them.
    If they are straight on, I'll shoot them on top of the spine.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
      That's a pretty interesting test that they preformed. 00 buckshot only penetrating 1.52 inches and not getting all the way through the "shield". Thanks for sharing this.
      That's what I was thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
        Not sure why anyone would try and shoot one in the head.
        Lot more success shooting them like a deer, double lunging them.
        Really??
        I tell all my hog hunters to ear hole'em. Seen to many times a hog shot behind shoulder go a long ways. And they will run in the thickest place they can. When they do that, the tracking part is over. Not crawling in on my hands and knees for a stinkin pig.
        If a guy can't shoot a hog in the ear at 75yds or less with a scoped rifle, he might want to spend a little more time on the range!!!

Comment

I'd say his days if not hours are numbered

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Really??
            I tell all my hog hunters to ear hole'em. Seen to many times a hog shot behind shoulder go a long ways. And they will run in the thickest place they can. When they do that, the tracking part is over. Not crawling in on my hands and knees for a stinkin pig.
            If a guy can't shoot a hog in the ear at 75yds or less with a scoped rifle, he might want to spend a little more time on the range!!!
            I always try to shoot hogs in the head. I've had a bunch run off after taking a shot to the body. Sometimes they run a little ways and fall over dead,sometimes they don't. For the most part hogs that have been shot in the head fell over right where they got shot. I shot one last Winter as it was running away and blew it's jaw off. It tried standing up and I shot it in the head again. It never moved again after that. They're not hard to shoot in the head and kill,that's why it suprises me that the hog in the picture survived if it really got hit with a bullet. They're tough but I've never seen one take that kind of hit and run off.

I've heard that shooting one right between the eyes is a bad shot to take. But I've hit them there and a loud thud and their knees buckling is about the only result I've ever gotten. Maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know. But I'll stick with head shots on hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I've heard that shooting one right between the eyes is a bad shot to take.
              It is. Every hog shot on our place where the hunter said it was between the eyes, we have recovered none. Sometimes it will knock them down, but they get right back up. Those that get hit anywhere around the ear hole drop right there.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                It is. Every hog shot on our place where the hunter said it was between the eyes, we have recovered none. Sometimes it will knock them down, but they get right back up. Those that get hit anywhere around the ear hole drop right there.
                I must just be lucky then. The ones I've hit with Remington Hog Hammer out of a 300 Blackout just crumbled when they got hit between the eyes. I hit one with a v-max in the head that didn't die on the spot but that's also a pretty frangible bullet. I've heard of bullets bouncing off of a hogs forehead but I haven't personally seen it happen yet. I'm sure if I keep shootin enough of them eventually I will.

Comment

I have never had a problem hitting them in the shield with my 338WSM using 185gr Barnes TSX @ 3240fps. Knocks them right off their feet and by the time they hit the ground they are daid! Sometimes thru penetration and sometimes not depending on shield thickness but it's the shock that knocks them out and by the time they would come to they already DRT. Use enough gun and don't worry bout it. I don't worry bout head shots. I just go for middle of shoulders.
                  My gun is earhole capable at 200yds but by the time you pull the trigger and the bullet arrives that ear could have moved a foot. Why take a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                    That's a pretty interesting test that they preformed. 00 buckshot only penetrating 1.52 inches and not getting all the way through the "shield". Thanks for sharing this.
                    When I was a kid I watched with binoculars while my dad stalked a big boar. Watched dad pop out of the brush about 100 yards away from him and watched the dust explode from the shoulder area of the pig. Pig turned and ran straight for my dad and bluff charged him then took off. We saw that same boar same spot few weeks later but he bolted before we got a chance to get at him. Dad shoots a 7 mag. Shot him in the shoulder because he wanted the skull, that pig was a beast.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch of them with a 22 just below the ear. Shoot all of them in road with rifle in ear or neck so they load or push into burn pile easier. I also trap rats with leg traps and poison. Same category

Comment

Survivor?

Noticed this the other day when I got a pic. After looking at more pics, could it be?

I know it's a long shot. But we only get about 10 pics of pigs per year. Ain't a ton of em around. And this ones head seems weird. Missing ears?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191028-204527_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24596617
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191028-204146_CovertWireless.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24596618

Comment

Pretty sure that 2nd pig has both ears

And 99.9% sure that nasty wound was fatal

Comment

As long as hogs die it does not matter how.......

-john

Comment

Wow!!!!

Comment

my grandson kilt one this weekend with a hole in its stomach
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X