Heavy"ier" Arrow Mass l Ranch Fairy Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy"ier" Arrow Mass l Ranch Fairy Video

For years I've experienced mixed results changing broadhead designs, you move from mechanical to fixed, penetration seems to increase, you jump to COC and definitely see some improvement, COC single bevels seem to help too. But I still kept having mixed results, going faster, tuning like crazy, micro shafts, regular shafts, etc. So here's the nuts and bolts:

1. I prefer a clean, zip through, pass through because the animals just seem to run off like they don't know what happened. Easier to find them.
    2. Let's agree, you will hit off side shoulders, etc. Ok, so I prefer to maximize my setup for the highest probability of a zip through, pass through, large bone hits should be the exception.
    2. Dead is dead - I get it. I've chucked some deer and pigs in the perfect spot with some horrible penetration, they ended up in the box. It just bothers me when on autopsy, all I hit was rib bones. And the ones that got away....this ain't fishing......
    3. Easily 75 pigs over the past 3 years with different friends, family, all kind of equipment comes to the ranch (its hard to get people to change anything). Results just kept piling up. I need to start a spreadsheet.

So, I changed one thing this year. Arrow Mass. I shot nothing less than 450, all COC, and really spent some time around 680 grains. I then plunked a big butt pig with 985 grains - that arrow was in a slow mo time machine. Here's what I got on video. We also completely broke 2 shoulders (80-100 pounders). Another video.

If you're having less than stellar terminal impact results, maybe a little more arrow weight will help? You don't have to jump off the 680 grain bridge. But it is fun. Something to play with this spring.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Spoke with some buddies about going heavier also.

Comment

I've always avoided jumping into those threads about "which is the better broadhead" just for the fact that nobody seems to want to consider the fact that it's not always about which head is better, when it's really about shooting too light of an arrow and not the broadhead that is the problem.
      It's always that way when mechanicals are involved.
      I'm old school, and always used fixed blade cut on contact heads for years, and not until recent years did I switch to mechanical heads, which need more weight behind them to push through and open at the same time, which causes more drag than a fixed blade head does, thus poor penetration.
      So I guess what I'm saying is it's not always the broad head you are using, but it could, and most likely the culprit is your arrow weight.
      It's hard to convince people because they don't want to give up speed, but it's a give and take in order to get a broad head to perform properly.
      Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-09-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

600+ for me always......single bevel destruction is far superior. Like u said, dead is dead but leave nothing to chance!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine are right at 600 but I'm shooting a slow recurve. Passthrough sometimes but I don't mind the arrow sticking in there wobbling around as they run off because it's tearing stuff up the whole time thus my average track is 45 yds.

Comment

595 grains with 19%+ FOC. Accurate, forgiving and quiet!

Comment

Good video.

Comment

My first taste of this came on my Cape Buffalo hunt 6 years ago. I was shooting a total arrow weight of 950 grains at a blazing 211fps. The broad head was a 315 grain Ed Ashby single bevel. I have also raised my weight from about 420 to around 500. I was shooting 530 my last trip to Africa an shot a Sable at 30 yards quartered away. The arrow entered at the last rib ( broke it ) traveled the body length and had arrow sticking out of the off shoulder. I think I am going to try and find a set up to be within a few grains of 500 total arrow weight, tip it with a 100 or 125 grain single bevel and hammer what ever walks out in North America.

Comment

I'll bet you're a hoot around a campfire.

As a "new" trad shooter I am working up a heavier arrow for my recurve. I was work towards 490 but I'm rethinking to a little heavier now.

Comment

This post helps my confidence. Last year my local bow shop convinced me to make a change so I went from skinny light weight fast arrows to tree trunks that seem to take forever to hit the target. Two days after I made the change, I shot a doe at 20 yards that string jumped me so bad the arrow hit near the spine. I was in shock and suffering from buyers remorse. I was able to track and find the deer 600 something yards away. I haven't taken another shot at animal yet but it sure makes me nervous.

Comment

I joined the heavy arrow group years ago and never looked back. Pass throughs on everything and I’m near 600 grain total weight. Other thing is I shoot fixed cut on contact heads. No shame in my game but my arrow isn’t speedy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X