DIY European Ram mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY European Ram mount

With some guidance from Texastaxi, I finished my first european mount on this corsican I took at Thompson Temple's place last month. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. What do ya'll think?
    Attached Files

Looks really good to me!
    How hard was it?

Comment

That looks real good- proffessional quality.

Mind sharing how you did it? I know those rams are tricky with the horns

Comment

The horns need to go down further on the cores, but overall I think you did great.
        It looks very clean.

Comment

Originally posted by jhuddleston View Post
          Looks really good to me!
          How hard was it?
          It wasn't hard at all. I did it by maceration.

- skinned head
          - put head in black trash bag with a little water in it to create moisture. Keep in the sun with bag closed. Do this until the sheaths slip off the horns.
          - placed in covered tub of water for 2 weeks (keep outside in the heat)
          - After 2 weeks the skull was basically clean of all meat
          - put in bucket of clear dawn soap water to degrease. (do this repeatedly until the water is no longer cloudy)
          - set out to dry once completely degreased
          - put in tub of 40 peroxide (completely submerged) for 6-8 hrs

Thats about all to it really. I used elmers glue/water mix and applied it to the skull as a sealer. Then used gorilla glue to put the sheaths back over the horns so they stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            The horns need to go down further on the cores, but overall I think you did great.
            It looks very clean.
            I worked and worked those freakin horns. cutting and trimming off bone and they just wouldn't go anywhere! I don't know what the heck the problem is with em but i decided i'd be happy the way it is haha! We're about to move so I needed to finish this project as soon as possible. Thanks again Texastaxi!

Comment

Looks good! So did you have to remove the horns from the skull or do they stay on throughout the process? If they did stay on, were they also submerged in the water and H2o2?
              Last edited by Efren; 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                  Looks good! So did you have to remove the horns from the skull or do they stay on throughout the process? If they did stay on, were they also submerged in the water and H2o2?
                  the horns are what I called the "sheaths". In the step where you put it in a black trash bag in the heat, leave it in there a couple days and the horns should just slip off the bone. You don't put them back on until the very last step after the skull has been completely finished. I did put them in hot soapy water for a little bit to get the stink out.

Comment

Good Job. Does it still smell like a goat?

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by thepkmac View Post
                        the horns are what I called the "sheaths". In the step where you put it in a black trash bag in the heat, leave it in there a couple days and the horns should just slip off the bone. You don't put them back on until the very last step after the skull has been completely finished. I did put them in hot soapy water for a little bit to get the stink out.
                        Do you have pics of this process?

Comment

Looks great you should be proud to put that on the wall.

Comment

Ram euro mount

Originally posted by thepkmac View Post
                            I worked and worked those freakin horns. cutting and trimming off bone and they just wouldn't go anywhere! I don't know what the heck the problem is with em but i decided i'd be happy the way it is haha! We're about to move so I needed to finish this project as soon as possible. Thanks again Texastaxi!

The sheaths will shrink a bit when they dry. You have to trim the bone with a sawzall to narrow them up a bit. I screw in a bolt and spread bondo over the nub and bolt and slip the horn into place.

Still a good looking piece!

Comment

Looks good but I bet the process stunk to high heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X