Fall Food Plot Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Food Plot Suggestions

Has anyone had experience with whitetail institute products in Central Tx. (Hillsboro)?

If someone has used another product that performed well I would like to get some feed back on that too.

I can't relate to Central Texas, but I can say that Whitetail Institute products are very good, but like all " buck on the bag " products, are usually overpriced. That said, the only clover I use is theirs, because clover seed goes a long way, and deer love their clover.

For spring plots, iron/clay peas are hard to beat. For fall plots, wheat, oats, Elbon rye, with a few Austrian winter peas have been my winners.

Whatever you do, get a soil test, and amend your soil accordingly. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I can't relate to Central Texas, but I can say that Whitetail Institute products are very good, but like all " buck on the bag " products, are usually overpriced. That said, the only clover I use is theirs, because clover seed goes a long way, and deer love their clover.

For spring plots, iron/clay peas are hard to beat. For fall plots, wheat, oats, Elbon rye, with a few Austrian winter peas have been my winners.

Whatever you do, get a soil test, and amend your soil accordingly. Good luck !
      I ordered the soil test kit from WI yesterday. Appreciate the info drycrerk!

Comment

I planted their clover two years ago and it seemed to do alright early, but died out pretty fast when it got hot. I'm in Lampasas and I think it's a little too dry for perennial clover.

Take a look at Turner Seed's fall deer mix. I've had good luck with it this year, and since it's already a blend, it's easy. They use arrowleaf (annual) clover in that blend along with Elbon Rye, wheat, oats, etc.

The deer are in the plots all the time. Turner is in Breckenridge Tx, and they tend to focus more on seeds for drier Texas climates from what I've seen.

Comment

Thanks 686!

Anyone else have any experience with Whitetail institute food plots?

Comment

I had limited success years ago in Kendall County using clovers in the fall food plots. I used Madrid for later spring growth and then a couple of others in the mix that were done by spring. I mixed Madrid and Purple Top Turnips put it on top the Oats and Wheat I drilled into in my fall mix. The Madrid would come up in late Sept when I planted and the spend time putting a root system down till about the end of Feb. I would shred the food plots in about mid to late April and the Madrid would take off. I would get good growth and usage till late June and into July depending on heat/rain. I would think Hubam would work also. I used Yucchi Arrowleaf, Crimson, and a couple of others the NRSC agent suggested also. Best luck was with Madird. My last couple of years I would no-till in Beans and then add in Alfalfa into the fall plots of left over Madrid (after shredding). Madrid will not make seed unless it grows 2 yrs. It grows very tall also-5'-6' with good moisture. Hubam will make seed if it does not get grazed out or get to dry. I am sure there are other clovers that will work in the mix also.
            Like posted above, call Turner and get their input on what you are wanting to do. I bought a lot of seed from them over the years.

Comment

Anyone else use Whitetail institute products?

Comment

I disced last weekend to loosen up the dirt for a fall perineal (whitetail fusion) and sent the soil smple to whitetail institute this afternoon. Hopefully it works out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakehunter View Post
                  I disced last weekend to loosen up the dirt for a fall perineal (whitetail fusion) and sent the soil smple to whitetail institute this afternoon. Hopefully it works out well.
                  Never used the Fusion, but I used their Power Plant blend for three years. The hogs kept coming to the sorghum and I gave it up. I've seen since then that they have replaced the sorghum with sunn hemp. Might be time to give it another shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X