When does everyone plant their clover in north texaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does everyone plant their clover in north texaa

I just picked some up on clearance at academy for half price and snatched it up. Can it be planted this spring or should I wait till fall?

Early fall. Clover spends its first year growing roots. If you plant in the spring, there's a good chance the hot summer temps will kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Early fall. Clover spends its first year growing roots. If you plant in the spring, there's a good chance the hot summer temps will kill it.
      So is clover a warm weather plant? I thought it grew in the fall.

Comment

Should be planted in Nov. Dec. Jan. as per guys at feed store. Mine was planted in Dec, and is about 1/4" tall.

Comment

So it wouldn't be a good idea to plant now due to freezes and young plants?

Comment

Drycreek knows his stuff.

Both annual and perennial clovers do best when planted in the fall. They germinate and lay down roots all winter and then get ready to explode when spring hits. I also get enough growth in the fall for deer to browse in the clover. Waiting to plant until spring just allows for weeds and grasses to get a jump on them. Everything else being equal...fall planted will do much better then spring planted.

If its an annual clover (crimson, berseem, ball, and several others) you can go ahead and spread your seeds now and frost seed them.....assuming we have a few more freezes. The freezing/thawing action works the seed into the soil at the perfect depth and it will germinate when soil temps get right.

If its a perennial clover (white and red) then I'd definitely wait until fall to plant.

I've never had any clover make it through 12 full months. Perennials will generally make it into the summer longer than annuals will in my experience. Perennials go dormant in the heat and will come back the next year from both its dormant roots and by reseeding. Annuals just flat out die in the heat...and the only way an annual clover will come back the next year is by reseeding.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Are you wanting to plant a good spring/summer plot? How many acres?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Both annual and perennial clovers do best when planted in the fall. They germinate and lay down roots all winter and then get ready to explode when spring hits. I also get enough growth in the fall for deer to browse in the clover. Waiting to plant until spring just allows for weeds and grasses to get a jump on them. Everything else being equal...fall planted will do much better then spring planted.

If its an annual clover (crimson, berseem, ball, and several others) you can go ahead and spread your seeds now and frost seed them.....assuming we have a few more freezes. The freezing/thawing action works the seed into the soil at the perfect depth and it will germinate when soil temps get right.

If its a perennial clover (white and red) then I'd definitely wait until fall to plant.

I've never had any clover make it through 12 full months. Perennials will generally make it into the summer longer than annuals will in my experience. Perennials go dormant in the heat and will come back the next year from both its dormant roots and by reseeding. Annuals just flat out die in the heat...and the only way an annual clover will come back the next year is by reseeding.
                  GOOD JOB explaining UF!! a side note: I have done some seeding by frost seeding in the winter and it came out good for spring feeding the deer, but not always

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Good info Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X