map of S.H.N.F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

map of S.H.N.F

where can I find a map with the roads that go through the Sam Houston National Forest and all the places to hunt there?

Originally posted by CURTIS250 View Post
    where can I find a map with the roads that go through the Sam Houston National Forest and all the places to hunt there?
    When you sign up for you APL (annual public land) permit TPWD will mail you one. I have also heard you can pick one up at the ranger station on 1375 in New Waverly.

Comment

Yup, the best forest service maps are the ones you can purchase at the ranger station for $5 or so. Been a while since I've bought one, but they are indespensible when trying to figure out what's private and what's public. And that's definitely important info!

The map in the APH booklet is pretty rough. You need to do some interpreting between it and the forest service map if you want to stay out of trouble.

As for places to hunt? Well, that's kinda up to you. Just find the FS land and then start scouting.

John

Comment

Thanks guys. Much obliged. do you think it would be too late to sign up for public hunting now ?

Comment

No, it's not too late. The APH permit is available all year. It's added to your hunting license when you buy it.

John

Comment

If there is a specific area you would really like I should be able to get you a two to three year old aerial photo with forest service boundaries and 10 ft topo with not to much trouble (may also be able to find roads and stream shape files as well). I will have to check and see if I can get the shapefiles for the SHNF like I can for the DCNF. Send me a PM if you have an area in mind.

It is never to late to start hunting public, if you go out this weekend, just be VERY CAREFULL and wear your HUNTER ORANGE. Good Luck!

Comment

Another good place to look at maps is the sam houston hiking club. They have the best maps Ive seen online

Comment

Working...
              X