National Parks near Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Parks near Las Vegas

This is a long shot but I got some solid advice on a trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon a few years ago so I figured I'd post:

The wife and I are heading out to Las Vegas for 8 nights next summer. We're somewhat building the trip around a stay at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The North Rim is a must and we have a room booked already since they hit max occupancy many months to a year in advance. We did the South Rim during the Summer of 2016. I went ahead and grabbed airfare before my wife could change her mind and we secured a rental car as well. As much as I love Vegas, I'm looking to get out of Vegas another few nights during our 8 night trip. I'd love to visit a few National Parks, and if lodging in and around them book up as early as the Grand Canyon, I want to go ahead and secure a room. I'm quite the planner too and the research tends to be a lot of fun for me.

This is quite broad, but any recommendations or thoughts on the ones listed below? Ideally, under 4 hours by car would be best but since we're leaving the kids with the in-laws back home, time in the car is less of a factor.

Joshua Tree National Park - +/- 3 hours (looks cool, but is there more than the trees to see?)
    Great Basin National Park - +/- 4.5 hours (haven't looked much in to it)
    Bryce Canyon National Park - +/- 4 hours (too similar to the Grand Canyon?)
    Death Valley National Park - +/- 2 hours (a top contender for now)
    Zion National Park - +/- 2.5 hours (too similar to the Grand Canyon?)
    Petrified Forest National Park, Capitol Reef, Sequoia/Kings Canyon - 5+ hours

I'm really leaning towards Death Valley with emphasis on visiting Dante's View and Badwater. We've also talked about hitting Valley of Fire State Park which is a little over an hour out of Vegas and would be a day trip.

Any other National Forests, State Parks, National Recreation Areas, etc. to look in to?

I have a National Park pass. Zion is incredible. It rivals only Yosemite in my book. You can stay near the park's West entrance in Springdale, UT or drive another 35 minutes to Hurricane, UT and the hotels are usually far cheaper. There is one hotel out of the East gate which is closer to the GC. Zion has incredible hiking. Google the Narrows and Angel's landing. These are both great hiking trails. They have outfitters near the park that will rent you water shoes and equipment to hike the Narrows. Zion and the GC are very different to me. About an hour out of the East side of the park is Hatch, UT. It is a beautiful mountain area that has plenty of fly fishing if you are into that. I thought Bryce was over rated. I have never done Antelope Canyon but I know it is very popular. The last time I was at the North rim I drove by the Vermillon Cliffs. They were breathtaking but I did not have time to stop and explore. Next time I go I plan on spending some time there.

If you go into Utah and drink alcohol stock up before you get their. Beer is watered down and liquor is only sold at the state run liquor store that seems to be open every other Tuesday from 0900-0915. It is a beautiful state.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
      This is a long shot but I got some solid advice on a trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon a few years ago so I figured I'd post:

The wife and I are heading out to Las Vegas for 8 nights next summer. We're somewhat building the trip around a stay at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The North Rim is a must and we have a room booked already since they hit max occupancy many months to a year in advance. We did the South Rim during the Summer of 2016. I went ahead and grabbed airfare before my wife could change her mind and we secured a rental car as well. As much as I love Vegas, I'm looking to get out of Vegas another few nights during our 8 night trip. I'd love to visit a few National Parks, and if lodging in and around them book up as early as the Grand Canyon, I want to go ahead and secure a room. I'm quite the planner too and the research tends to be a lot of fun for me.

This is quite broad, but any recommendations or thoughts on the ones listed below? Ideally, under 4 hours by car would be best but since we're leaving the kids with the in-laws back home, time in the car is less of a factor.

Joshua Tree National Park - +/- 3 hours (looks cool, but is there more than the trees to see?)
      Great Basin National Park - +/- 4.5 hours (haven't looked much in to it)
      Bryce Canyon National Park - +/- 4 hours (too similar to the Grand Canyon?)
      Death Valley National Park - +/- 2 hours (a top contender for now)
      Zion National Park - +/- 2.5 hours (too similar to the Grand Canyon?)
      Petrified Forest National Park, Capitol Reef, Sequoia/Kings Canyon - 5+ hours

I'm really leaning towards Death Valley with emphasis on visiting Dante's View and Badwater. We've also talked about hitting Valley of Fire State Park which is a little over an hour out of Vegas and would be a day trip.

Any other National Forests, State Parks, National Recreation Areas, etc. to look in to?
      I plan to do Valley of Fire in January. Hopefully it will not be full that time of year. I'm no help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We go to Vegas usually twice a year and each time I find myself looking toward the hills and just want to go explore. I don't have any recommendations but definitely do a thread on the trip if you find some good spots.

Comment

I concur with thegrouse. We did GC, Antelope Canyon and Zion last year for spring break, then went further east in Utah. Zion is very different from GC in that you experience it from the bottom of the canyon, and the terrain is quite different. If you are going between the two, the Antelope Canyon slot canyons are definitely worth a visit. It's not as convenient coming from the north rim, but still worth the detour. Here's a picture from Antelope:

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice and info. Not sure I have the balls to do the Angel's Landing hike! I may look in to fly fishing in Hatch and see if a DIY is possible, or if I can connect with a local through a fly fishing forum/club. Guided would work too, especially with the wife along. Thanks again!

Comment

The scenic drive up on the Kabab Plateau is incredible

Comment

we vacationed in the area this past July, flew in to Vegas, spent a couple nights there, then through Zion to Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches (Moab), Canyonlands, Four Corners (meh), Mesa Verde (spent the night, nice), Colo Springs for a day or two, many things to see around there (Air Force Academy, Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak (Cog Railway), Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods (skip Manitou Cliff Dwellings, waste of money), then Denver (took the kids to the Denver Museum, definitely worth visiting, wanted to see about visiting the Mint again but haven't been since the 70's and not enough time this trip), flew back in to Austin out of Denver....waiting for the Accountant to approve another trip soon...sooner than later...more time at a few places, cut out some others completely...

I can send you some documents I worked up with the places we wanted to visit, laid them out, distances and what not, locations to stay, etc...and then what we really did...

Comment

Working...
                X