Calling TBH mechanics / Jeep Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling TBH mechanics / Jeep Cherokee

My 2000 jeep Cherokee threw a P0705 code this past week. Per the web it says it's a Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction. The jeep runs fine, starts as it should, shifts and has no issues other than that dang check engine light. I've researched and some folks have fixed it by removing the neutral safety switch off the transmission and cleaning it or in worse case replacing ($300 part). Anyone had this happen or have any input?

Just about every XJ I have messed with have had this issue. My advice is if you can live with just drive it. You can remove, clean, and re-pack with dielectric grease but since they have been on there so long a lot of times you tear them up trying to remove. Then you are screwed since you have to buy a new one and you are out $300 just trying to make the light go off.

My advice is if you can live with it, drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      Just about every XJ I have messed with have had this issue. My advice is if you can live with just drive it. You can remove, clean, and re-pack with dielectric grease but since they have been on there so long a lot of times you tear them up trying to remove. Then you are screwed since you have to buy a new one and you are out $300 just trying to make the light go off.

^^ This.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I hate lights!

I'm going to give the cleaning a try this weekend.... I did see a few of the aftermarket parts going for $125. But I'm a believer in you get what you pay for.

Comment

I decided to see if I could pull it off this afternoon. Thank god for Matt from bleepin jeeps on youtube? Came off easier than expected. Hardest part was getting to the zip ties that connected the harness to other wires. Took it apart and cleaned the inside, sanded off the contacts and then applied fresh dielectric grease. Hooked the harness back up and the light was still on.

Took it for a drive and then cycled the ignition a few times...and wallah...no check engine light.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this cleaning did the job and I'm don't have to shell out 3 bills for a replacement part.

Comment

Problem with driving w check light on is you never know if you ever have any other codes set in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              Problem with driving w check light on is you never know if you ever have any other codes set in the future.
              That was my thought as well.

Comment

Great news hope the check engine light stays off. You got to love youtube!!!

Comment

Working...
                X