Sons first Bow Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sons first Bow Kill

My 10yr really starting hounding us last fall to get a bow. I basically quit bowhunting when he got big enough to start following me into the woods because it was just too much work and our lease at the time wasn't particularly suited for it.

We ended up getting a Diamond Craze for Christmas and he has become obsessed with it. He has been shooting almost every day since Christmas and he has been chomping at the bit to kill something with it. He's up to 38lbs and I managed to score some Razortricks from a guy that didn't shoot them anymore. I dug out my lock-ons and sticks a couple weeks ago and we got him a stand set up so I could sit right behind him. We let it rest for a week and tried to stick one Saturday before last. The neighbors decided to see what the actual cyclic rate of fire on an AR-15 was that afternoon so it turned out to be a bust.

Fast forward to this Saturday. We ran up to the lease and hung another set for future hunts (I guess Im back into bowhunting now too) and manged to get in the stand about 10 minutes before the feeder went off. Problem was, the swine were there waiting. We managed to get settled in and I could hear the hogs just off in the brush so I knew if the wind stayed good they should come running when the dinner bell went off.

Sure enough, after the feeder spun we had about 20 hogs withing 15 yards and the game of Wac-a-Mole commenced as he tried to get on a pig with a good angle and would hold still long enough for a shot. Finally, after what seemed like forever a 80lb sow stopped broadside and he touched it off. He ended up hitting her in the front part of the shoulder, lodging in spine and cutting the carotid artery. She dropped right there and bled out in a few seconds. She was still flopping after the first shot a bit so he decided to send another her way and ended up hitting her in the butt he was shaking so bad. To say he was pumped would be an understatement. He's now wearing me out ready to go back after them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 175gr7.62; 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM.

Congrats to your son!

Comment

Congrats to the both of you!!

Comment

Nice! Way to go Dad!

Comment

That is so much fun! Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations big time to your son on his first bow kill. Pigs aren't always easy to shoot with a bow but he pulled it off. Looks like your hunting future just took off in a good way.

Comment

Congrats to both of Y'all!

Comment

Love it! Nothing better than watching your kids get it done.

Comment

Congratulations enjoy it He will be s chasing shaved cats before you know it.

Comment

Now that's the way it is supposed to be!!! Dad and son together enjoying good times.

Congrats to him (and you as well).

P.S. -- did you make him field-dress it? Is he gonna smoke the 'straps?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice !!

Comment

Congrats to y’all....

Comment

Congratulation to you both. Great job. Recommend you do skull mount and save that arrow too.

Comment

Congrats young man!

Comment

Working...
                              X