Anyone Training for a Marathon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Training for a Marathon?

I got the running bug the past couple of years and set a goal of qualifing for Boston. at my age thats a 3h15min marathon or 7min 26 sec per mile for 26.2 miles. I am a ways away from getting that fast but am trainig hard for it. I have ran dozens of 5k's and have a 10k in three weeks and a 1/2 marathon in 6 weeks. Plan on running the OKC memorial marathon in April with a 3h30m goal then the cowtown next year December with hopes of a Boston qualifier. Currently I am at 30 miles per week and plan on being at 60 by April. Runs include Tempo Strides Easy and a weekly long run. Long runs are upto 10 miles and I plan on getting in a few 20milers before april. Was looking for and TBHr's that have done or are currently doing the same thing.

I'm thinking about running the half at either Austin or Cowtown next spring. Good luck with your training. I have never been able to qualify for Boston. That's a pretty fast pace.

you should consider the Austin race (Motorola or whatever it is now) as a qualifier. It has a lot of downhills in the course.
    Last edited by quarterback; 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Somebody has to be as nuts as I am...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
        I'm thinking about running the half at either Austin or Cowtown next spring. Good luck with your training. I have never been able to qualify for Boston. That's a pretty fast pace.
        Right now most runs are at 8:30 pace with tempo at 7:30 I have a ways to go

Comment

Never even crossed my mind!Lol
          But..I do wish you the best of luck!!

If y'all see me runnin'...don't ask questions, just run, cuz something's chasing my arz!!

Comment

Once you do it, once you cross that finish line it is a feeling like no other. Words cannot describe the incredible satisfaction of completing something that you've trained years for. Then you say you'll never do that again. Then later, when you are healed you start thinking about it again and it calls your name. Next thing you know, you're back out there, pounding the pavement, putting those long miles in by yourself.

Good luck Dan, sounds like you are getting ready.

Comment

Running is for kids and those being chased by the po leece!

You will get there buddy. You always do!

Hi Dan

Comment

I'm training up for the Vegas half in November. Have also done the 2008/2009 San Antonio full marathons.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                  Never even crossed my mind!Lol
                  But..I do wish you the best of luck!!

If y'all see me runnin'...don't ask questions, just run, cuz something's chasing my arz!!
                  That's what I was thinking! Just lead, follow or get the heck outta my way! Lol

Good luck to the OP

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                    I'm training up for the Vegas half in November. Have also done the 2008/2009 San Antonio full marathons.
                    You should do the okc memorial full next April.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous dan View Post
                      You should do the okc memorial full next April.
                      Could be. I'm also thinking about the Bataan as well in that time frame.

Comment

I have run 12 marathons, just completed the Pikes Peak Marathon this Aug.

My fastest is 3:45, on my 10th I injured my IT band, and now I am trying to focus on trails as it's better on my IT.

You have to be fast for Boston, I just focus on having a good time, and picking other races that are challenging that I feel great to just finish.

Keep reading runners world, and if you need some inspiration, Ultra Marathon Man, Born to Run, and Bart Yasso's book (forget the name).

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. I had itb last year and beat it I can help u with it
                          Last edited by dangerous dan; 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

well I have done 2 marathons since then, it just flares up if I push the mileage more than I should, just can't gut it out like I use to, have to ramp up the mileage instead of just jumping in.

Comment

Does this count?

Comment

Working...
                              X