School me on spray foam for new construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on spray foam for new construction

My mother is building a small house near Bandera. 1100 sq ft approx. I am trying to get a rough idea what the cost would be to foam it. I have seen that closed cell seems more recommended. What is the real world cost for exterior walls and attic? This will be a pier and beam house. Should we foam the floor as well? This is my first experience w a non slab home.

Can't comment on cost but walls and attic are open cell foam. Closed cell would be used under the house.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no idea on the cost as in was buried in our contractor's bid but that is what we have in our new ranch house and the insulating power is awesome. You can go in the attic in the middle of the afternoon and there is probably not more than a 10 degree difference between the attic and the house.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
        I have no idea on the cost as in was buried in our contractor's bid but that is what we have in our new ranch house and the insulating power is awesome. You can go in the attic in the middle of the afternoon and there is probably not more than a 10 degree difference between the attic and the house.
        Same.
        Was in an attic yesterday and I was shocked. Totally different concept than what we have lived in my whole life. Should make the AC unit run less and more efficiently

BP

Comment

Our 1,800 sq/ft house was $4,500 I think.

My sister's pier/beam house was bid at $1,000 for underneath. So I bet if you find a local spray foam guy your total would be +/- 4k

Comment

Just remember that once the foam is in. You will not be able to fish electrical lines anywhere. I haven't heard of foaming the floor(good idea), that may be an extra $700. We foamed out house, also sprayed the rafters of our carport and patio.

Comment

Do it!, the old buy once, cry once is true in this case. I don't remember our cost, but we have a 3300 sq ft home and a 4800 sq ft barn with 3 freezers and two refrigerators, a window unit, two air compressors and a small welder. The house sits at 72-74 during the day but drops to 68 at night in the bedroom. In the 6 years we have been here not one utility bill over $290.00. I would say the average bill per month for the year is around $200

We have open cell.

Comment

**** Disclaimer**** The barn is not foamed, but it is insulated.

Comment

Glad you started this thread. I will hopefully know this week on the house I'm building. Good info here.

Comment

Spray insulation is great. It will make your floor very solid. Almost no bounce. Draw back is as mentioned before there is no easy access to anything that is buried within the joist bays now covered in hard foam. And makes foundation repair if ever needed very costly. But I still highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
                      Spray insulation is great. It will make your floor very solid. Almost no bounce. Draw back is as mentioned before there is no easy access to anything that is buried within the joist bays now covered in hard foam. And makes foundation repair if ever needed very costly. But I still highly recommend.
                      How will it effect foundation repair cost?
                      Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
                        Why would it make foundation repair more?

Comment

Let the ac guy know that the house is going to be spray foamed. He should put a smaller unit in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All the above. Closed cell is generally used anywhere there is no possibility of a water leak, open cell is used where there may be a water leak(allows you to know there's a water leak). We had all walls and floors sprayed, even interior walls, and between floors. It kills sound, especially people walking upstairs. We did this in a ln existing metal building, that was already insulated. Framed against existing insulation and then sprayed it. 6" in the walls 8" in the ceiling. If it's a 100° out, I can keep it at 61° and the unit might kick on 3 or 4 times a day. I'm running 2000 sqft with a 1.5(edit) ton unit, and four vents.
                            Last edited by MadHatter; 08-05-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I've seen where the new homes that are spray foamed don't have any roof vents also, I guess they area just venting the plumbing into the attic.

Comment

Working...
                              X