Speckled Trout Reel - Shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speckled Trout Reel - Shopping

Hey Guys, what's a good Bait Caster type reel for medium sized Speckled Trout and an occasional legal sized Redfish? I was looking at the Abu Garcia C3, which comes in several versions. It's mainly for surf fishing; throwing plastic or a live bait setup. Thanks in advance.

Reel tech has come so far virtually any brandl is a good one, but which reel best suits your needs? Educate yourself and select a great inshore baitcaster.

Comment

Budget?

You could spend 75 bucks or 300

Comment

We can get you way over $300 if you want.. With the info given and knowing I prefer low profile reels. Pick from the link below, spend what your budget allows

Comment

No on the C3, too big and bulky. Get a low profile baitcast reel paired with a medium or medium/light 7' rod.

Comment

I have tried tons of different kinds of reels and the most reliable and bulletproof reels that I have found are the old green curados. I don't buy new reels anymore. I have tried the Abu's, Lew's, new shimanos. All not bad reels, just don't hold up as well in the saltwater and punishment that I put them through as the old curados. I buy them off 2cool and ebay and I can typically get them for $75-100 a piece.

If you are wanting new, I'd look into the Concept reels. I have buddies who swear by them.

Comment

Theres a chronarch listed in the classifides. Thats a fine reel. No, its not mine

Comment

I like my Old school Curado SF and my 13 fishing concepts C. Lews makes some good ones as well.

Comment

The Ambassadeur reels have been around forever. The ones that are still made in Sweden are tanks. My go to is a C4 5600 for throwing popping corks, 1 oz surf rigs, etc where I want a bunch of heavier line. Compared to a low pro they are harder to cast plastics and lighter baits, and they are bulky. They also aren't "cool" anymore. If I was going to have just one, I'd look at a main brand low pro in your price range. You can get a nice reel that will work for trout/red fishing for $150-$200. Beyond that IMO the average guy won't see any benefit
                  Last edited by jdg13; 06-01-2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

13 fishing Concept C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Custom Inshore SLP’s innovative, fast-starting, forged, double anodized aluminum deep U style 32mm spool holds 140 yards of 12-pound monofilament. The Lew’s Combat Grip® pad on the thumb bar adds comfort and control to each and every cast. The Custom Inshore Speed Spool’s smoothness and durability come from its premium 10-bearing system with sealed corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings and Zero Reverse anti-reverse one-way clutch bearing. The reel has a one-piece aluminum frame with a strong, lightweight carbon handle sideplate with a graphite palming sideplate.

Comment

I have a Abu Garcia Revo SX, Shimano Citica, Shimano Curado 200 DSV (Heavy, but a great reel).
                        My brother has several Chronarch 50mg's and they have been great. Nice and lite but hard to find these days as they are not being made anymore

Comment

That is the perfect reel.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                            The Ambassadeur reels have been around forever. The ones that are still made in Sweden are tanks. My go to is a C4 5600 for throwing popping corks, 1 oz surf rigs, etc where I want a bunch of heavier line. Compared to a low pro they are harder to cast plastics and lighter baits, and they are bulky. They also aren't "cool" anymore. If I was going to have just one, I'd look at a main brand low pro in your price range. You can get a nice reel that will work for trout/red fishing for $150-$200. Beyond that IMO the average guy won't see any benefit
                            All my stuff is 5500, 6500 and 7500c.

But I also fish for much bigger stuff at times. If I am throwing (popping cork or lure) I am going 5500 with 40lb braid. If I am using live bait I tend to go 6500 or 7500 (depending on bait size) with 80lb braid.

All with florocarbon leaders.

Comment

If this thread stays on the first page long, you'll have a hundred different recommendations...
                              I'll give mine too... I have been at this a long time, and when they came out with the "greenie" curado, Shimano ruled the water for inshore baitcasting reels for many years. I too got on that band wagon. Would likely still be on it except just like every other product it seems that the public likes, the folks making them seem to go consumer deaf and blind and they change them or quit making them altogether... Prior to the Shimano reels, I was a fan of Diawa baitcasters when they introduced their zero drag line guides and magnetic over run control. Again, Diawa fell out of favor and didn't keep up... Before magnetic or centrifugal over run control, it was either a black or red Ambassador 5000(AthruC,D...)

After having evaluated many different reels and both magnetic and centrifugal anti-backlash control models, I found that I prefer the magnetic control reels. For me, they are easier to adjust and then readjust when you change lures/baits/weights. They for me are better for casting directly or almost directly into the wind than all the others. Top among those and specifically for saltwater use is the Diawa Coastal TWS. I've used them a couple seasons now and so far, they have been far superior to my old Curados. I tried a Lews, and once adjusted properly, it worked OK, but when changing bait/weight profiles, had to be readjusted and that proved troublesome to me.

The Diawa Coastal with it's magnetic control is simple to adjust and can be adjusted so that almost anyone from a greenhorn to the most experienced angler can set them up and be proficient at casting without over runs.

They are under 200 bucks on Amazon or eBay...

I prefer a medium/light 7' or longer rod with a 7-8" handle... Rods are important too. If you're wading/surf fishing, you won't want a long handle (or at least I don't like 'em)... The long handle rods are fine for fishing out of a boat or pier and for heavy action retrieves such as using a popping cork. The long handle sometimes is helpful in fighting a really big fish, but the fish you mention won't need a long handle, ever...

OK, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Comment

Working...
                              X