Good Drill Bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Drill Bits?

I'm tired of crap drill bits (I have dozens of the DeWalt junk ones) & as I fabricate/weld more stuff I feel the need to get better bits. Have a set @ work that are USA made by MatCo (probably 25 years old) & they work soooo much better than my DeWalts. Who makes a good set, for drilling metal (mostly mild steel up to 1/4" thick), from say 1/4" to 1/2"? I'm willing to spend upwards of $100 on a good set that'll last. I'm thinking Cobalt (NOT the brand Kobalt or coated cobalt) as opposed to Titanium coated HSS.

Are USA made drill bits still top of the line?

Is Cobalt bits the best bang for my buck?

Input from the drill bit guru's?

With the help of a Drill Docter I'm still using the Craftsman bits that I bought thirty years ago. A few of them are getting short though !

Comment

Guhring is about all I use. They aren't cheap, but drill really well and last if you drill correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        With the help of a Drill Docter I'm still using the Craftsman bits that I bought thirty years ago. A few of them are getting short though !

That is critical. Learn how to sharpen. Drill dr does a good job as well.

Comment

Got this set for Christmas. Really impressed with how great they work.

Comment

look up a Lawson tool dealer . I use the bits at work there are excellent

Comment

Originally posted by kdenhead View Post

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0323441
              X2

Comment

I used to go through bits like crazy, then I saw a guy use a cheap cobalt bit all day. He just used oil on the bit and drilled SLOW. I always tried to drill to fast, got the bit to hot, which ruins it. You may already know this but thats all I got.

Comment

Well I'll be. The one time I don't search! Figured I was the first to ask on this one. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kdenhead View Post

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0323441
                    Do you know what type they are (cobalt, titanium, etc.)? Not much info. on their site.

Comment

Btw, I know to go slow. Downside is I don't have a drill press but that wouldn't help much seeing as most things I drill range from the size of a bumper to the size of a trailer! I have no plans on buying 1 of those high dollar magnet drill things. Don't have funds for something like that that'd get used <10 a year. Not to mention my bumper I'm trying to drill right now, it wouldn't work on it anyways.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452375126.225475.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	24424311Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452375152.737660.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24424321 These are pretty good, not cheap tho.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                          Btw, I know to go slow. Downside is I don't have a drill press but that wouldn't help much seeing as most things I drill range from the size of a bumper to the size of a trailer! I have no plans on buying 1 of those high dollar magnet drill things. Don't have funds for something like that that'd get used <10 a year. Not to mention my bumper I'm trying to drill right now, it wouldn't work on it anyways.
                          When you do get quite a few holes than need to be drilled in something big like that it can be a good time to rent a mag drill. Just makes life so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                            Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                            When you do get quite a few holes than need to be drilled in something big like that it can be a good time to rent a mag drill. Just makes life so much easier.
                            When you need to drill a bunch of stuff like that, get you a nice big piece of 1/2" rope. Tie it snug around whatever you are drilling and around the back of your drill. Then stick a piece of bar, or long screw driver between the rope and back of your drill.....and start twisting. You'll be amazed how much easier it is, drill press like! I've used a small ratchet strap too.

Comment

Working...
                            X