No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2015 -2016 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always used bobcat urine on all my sets. Scent posts at crossroads or trails did well too. Also had good luck burying a small piece of skunk hide with just a little bit showing on dirt piles. Had some luck with dirt holes using rotten rabbit as bait. Main thing is to keep your set human scent free

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      We caught a gray fox and a coyote in the same night this past week. I am after the coyotes and the gray fox was in a live trap so I let him go. The fox was weird compared to others I have trapped. It just hung out and didn't seem scared. He let me pet him with a stick and didn't care. Looking back, I hope it wasn't rabid. It just acted like a pet cat.

We have had no luck on dirt holes, except for rabbits. The flat traps with domestic dog droppings and coyote mating scent seems to work within 2-3 days every time.

I am only catching female coyotes, is that odd?

That is all I caught last year, females (all 4 of them)

I thought it was odd on but on the other hand that is 4 litters that never got dropped the way I see it.

Been too busy or gone to set any yet this year

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        I always used bobcat urine on all my sets. Scent posts at crossroads or trails did well too. Also had good luck burying a small piece of skunk hide with just a little bit showing on dirt piles. Had some luck with dirt holes using rotten rabbit as bait. Main thing is to keep your set human scent free
        I have always heard to be scent free and it makes sense, but I am not even close to scent free. I touch everything bare handed, kneel in the dirt with regular washed jeans, throw my jacket on the ground when I get hot and they are still coming. I have noticed it usually takes 2-3 days after I set it up to catch one. Maybe that is how long it takes for most of my scent to go away. That means tonight I should catch one or at least miss one (I do that some).

Comment

Human scent is going to be there no matter what you do, and they know you where there even if you are scent free! You are going to still catch them if they want to get whatever bait or scent you leave for them! That said I don't get to carried away with scent just try to keep it to a minimum! JMO!
          Last edited by Archer156; 01-06-2016, 06:18 AM. Reason: Wording

Comment

Yep "scent free" just ain't gonna happen, most of the old timers were extremely meticulous about it, then someone would come along using bare hands wearing the same clothes they wore in the oilfield and catch just as much. Coyotes have a deeply ingrained fear and ability to pick up on anything new or out of place, leave your sets as close to the way it was before you showed up will help a lot in speeding up your visit time.

Comment

How do you keep mud from betting under the pan when it rains? I put something over the pan and dust it with dry dirt to hide the trap, but after it rains sometimes I end up with mud under the pan. After the last rain, I caught one coyote, but I couldn't get one trap to close because too much mud ran under the pan.

Comment

It depends on the set location, you have to prepare for rain before you set your trap, if you set where water drains from a roadway, your going to be washed out or buried in mud. If you make a set on top of a diversion berm probably not going to have any problem. Before you make your set just get in the habit of assessing water drainage for that set. For a light rain you can dig your trap bed a little deeper and bed your trap in peat moss. Clint Locklear has some good tips for handling rain at a set on his videos also.

Comment

Now that deer season is over for us, we will be trying to get back after the coons again. We have a few coyotes making a regular presence through our place, so I may pick up a trap or too and give that a shot. We have quite a few coons around us but none of them are all that big, so don't think I want to take that any further than just trapping to keep them out of the corn/protein. I may see about skinning out a couple coons just for the sake of trying it and to say I did it.

On the topic of coyotes, this past weekend at the ranch I saw one 3 different sits while in the stand. Passing through one direction or the other. He stayed in the thicker stuff so I never got a shot. However him and I did have a very close encounter one morning. It was Friday morning and was about 10:15am or so and I decided to go back to the house and get a bite to eat. I climbed out of the box blind and walked about 40 yards or so to a camera I have set on a trail. I get right up behind the camera and hear something coming. I didn't know what it was until it was about 15 yards from me and cleared some brush. That coyote came almost right to me before he saw me. He couldn't have been more than maybe 20 ft from me at most, more like 10-15 ft. He stopped and looked towards my feet and slowly followed my legs up until he saw my face and then he ducked his head hard and took off. He went into more thick stuff just as I got the bead on him with my 30-30. He came through again the next day, but used a trailer about 50 yards east of where we met. Real healthy dog. Very poofy coat and tail, lots of white in his color mixed with some grey. Almost reminds me more of the look of a small wolf than a coyote. Hard to guess weight with that thick coat, but I would guess he was probably pushing 50lbs. Similar in size to my labs.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    How do you keep mud from betting under the pan when it rains? I put something over the pan and dust it with dry dirt to hide the trap, but after it rains sometimes I end up with mud under the pan. After the last rain, I caught one coyote, but I couldn't get one trap to close because too much mud ran under the pan.
                    I bought a cheap pillow from the dollar store and cut it and started using the stuffing. Take a small amount of the fiber stuffing and stick under the pan, it won't keep pan from working but will keep dirt and mud out from under pan.

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by CEpperson View Post
                      I bought a cheap pillow from the dollar store and cut it and started using the stuffing. Take a small amount of the fiber stuffing and stick under the pan, it won't keep pan from working but will keep dirt and mud out from under pan.

Clay
                      I buy pre cut pads that go under the pads.
                      They have worked very well. It has rained ever couple of days and I'm still catching.

Coyote # 4
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	24424250

Comment

You can go to the craft section of Wal-Mart an buy chair cushion foam it's 1" thick works great I bought some 4 years ago and still have some.

Comment

I use cut pads also with my MB 650's and they work well
                          This is number 9 yote so far
                          Dustin picked up this big cat with a rifle too
                          Attached Files

Comment

I need advice.

I just checked my traps. I am using flat traps with dog droppings and coyote mating scent. This has been working. Two of the traps have fresh from last night coyote droppings 6 and 10 feet away from them. Do I leave my set alone? Do I put a set on the coyote droppings? Do I move the coyote droppings to my set? Or do I do something else?

Comment

I would rebait your trap with fresh as you have male coyote urine try that

Comment

Originally posted by masters75 View Post

Brother in law said he threw the rope out there and the coyote ran right into it this morning!
                                Once I was out on horseback with my cousin bringing the cows in and he took off running and said he was gonna try to rope a coyote he saw. I thought he was just pulling my leg cause I never saw the yote. Good to see this pic!

Comment

Working...
                                X