Let me ask the experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me ask the experts...

I just finished a mountain rifle build with GA Precision in a 6.5PRC. I knew going in that I would be missing a segment of North American species like moose and grizzly with the 6.5. I know... I know... shot placement. Blah... blah... Now that I have been exposed to the 300 PRC and really enjoy the long range ballistics along with heavy grain options. I have now duplicated the the 8.5lbs build in the 300PRC. Not sure I’m 100% convinced that this will fill my larger specie gap. Thoughts?

BTW - I have a goal to thin out my safe filled with dozens of out of the box rifles that are never used and primarily use 3-4 custom builds. Point being I really don’t like my 338’s and 300 RUM’s that punish me. Thus the PRC crave, lots of bullet with little recoil.

I've got quite a few choices in the safe these days. I could probably get by with 3-4 for everything I'll ever hunt. No desire to go after any of the Big 5, so I figure these cover everything in every possible situation.

22-250 varmints/predators
    270 wsm X bolt carbon fluted for deer/exotics/back up Elk
    300 win Elk/back up Nilgai
    35 Whelen Nilgai/Bear

Not sure how much reduced recoil the 300 PRC will have over your RUM. Should be easier to find accurate loads for though....from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
      I've got quite a few choices in the safe these days. I could probably get by with 3-4 for everything I'll ever hunt. No desire to go after any of the Big 5, so I figure these cover everything in every possible situation.

22-250 varmints/predators
      270 wsm X bolt carbon fluted for deer/exotics/back up Elk
      300 win Elk/back up Nilgai
      35 Whelen Nilgai/Bear

Not sure how much reduced recoil the 300 PRC will have over your RUM. Should be easier to find accurate loads for though....from what I hear.
      The recoil is significantly less than the 300 NORMA, and way less than the RUM. I feel as if I can get a way with 3 rifles and then keep a few plinkers. In 43 years I have never sold a gun (gave a few away) but now it’s time to purge. I have rifles that haven’t been fired for a decade. I also did the AR bandwagon a few years back and sometimes I don’t remember having that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
        The recoil is significantly less than the 300 NORMA, and way less than the RUM. I feel as if I can get a way with 3 rifles and then keep a few plinkers. In 43 years I have never sold a gun (gave a few away) but now it’s time to purge. I have rifles that haven’t been fired for a decade. I also did the AR bandwagon a few years back and sometimes I don’t remember having that.
        Any 6.5X55 swede???????

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Any 6.5X55 swede???????
          I do like the history and the rimless cartridge, by no I don’t.

Comment

Thoughts?

BTW - I have a goal to thin out my safe filled with dozens of out of the box rifles that are never used and primarily use 3-4 custom builds.
            Been there, done that 2 decades ago. Sold all my factory guns and built/bought 4 dozen custom rifles. The addiction to accurate, custom rifles is real Lately I’ve seen selling my custom rifles to build new ones based on newer cartridges

Comment

I’m new to the custom gun thing. But this coming weekend I will pick my first one up.
              300 WM still waiting on the McMillan stock to come in. But we installed into to one he had and it look good !

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Been there, done that 2 decades ago. Sold all my factory guns and built/bought 4 dozen custom rifles. The addiction to accurate, custom rifles is real Lately I’ve seen selling my custom rifles to build new ones based on newer cartridges
                Funny! Knowing my personality most likely would do the same pattern...

Comment

Funny! Knowing my personality most likely would do the same pattern...
                  Life's too short to shoot mediocre rifles. My opinion may differ from others but I feel that we've really reached the point of seriously diminishing returns on new cartridges. Seems like every day someone is trying get their name on something and make it out to be the next biggest end all be all round. But, who am I to say. Pick one ya dig and let the coal roll. However, a customer is wanting a 300 of some sort so I'm kinda wanting to look at the 300 Norma Improved.
                  Last edited by kck; 10-21-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                    Life's too short to shoot mediocre rifles. My opinion may differ from others but I feel that we've really reached the point of seriously diminishing returns on new cartridges. Seems like every day someone is trying get their name on something and make it out to be the next biggest end all be all round. But, who am I to say. Pick one ya dig and let the coal roll. However, a customer is wanting a 300 of some sort so I'm kinda wanting to look at the 300 Norma Improved.
                    I ordered the 300 PRC today. Great now I’m dong builds before I pickup the last. I blame you guys

Comment

What are ballistics of 300 PRC? I don’t think it will come close to the 300 RUM.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                        What are ballistics of 300 PRC? I don’t think it will come close to the 300 RUM.
                        The 300PRC is a necked down 375 RM that was engineered to outperform the 300 NORMA with accuracy and long range. Even more so it allows for versatility because of the long and narrow cartridge. This allows for more of a consistent burn and better longe range accuracy with the bullet seat not taking up a cartridge space. The drop is in between the NORMA and the 338 Lapua along with energy and speed. The accuracy and versatility is much better. As for the RUM the long range accuracy (1500-2000) of the 300 PRC is much better. The approach with the PRCs is to be similar to the Creedmore but in a magnum. If George Gardner and team says to me to put these 2 rifles in your safe, I listen. By the way the PRC has 60% less recoil than the RUM. The cons are limited box options, which I’m loading and don’t care, and short barrel life. I’m also not to concerned with replacing a $500 barrel every couple of years.

Comment

The 300PRC is a necked down 375 RM that was engineered to outperform the 300 NORMA with accuracy and long range. Even more so it allows for versatility because of the long and narrow cartridge. This allows for more of a consistent burn and better longe range accuracy with the bullet seat not taking up a cartridge space. The drop is in between the NORMA and the 338 Lapua along with energy and speed. The accuracy and versatility is much better. As for the RUM the long range accuracy (1500-2000) of the 300 PRC is much better. The approach with the PRCs is to be similar to the Creedmore but in a magnum. If George Gardner and team says to me to put these 2 rifles in your safe, I listen. By the way the PRC has 60% less recoil than the RUM. The cons are limited box options, which I’m loading and don’t care, and short barrel life. I’m also not to concerned with replacing a $500 barrel every couple of years.
                          Bumping this up as I think my next build will be a 300 prc

What length barre did you do?

Comment

You say it outperforms the 300 Norma; what is the case capacity of the PRC?

I know the Norma is just over 100 grains of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              You say it outperforms the 300 Norma; what is the case capacity of the PRC?

I know the Norma is just over 100 grains of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Less capacity and a little slower but much more stable with less seated bullet and the longer, more low drag design. The long range accuracy is what I was referring to specifically. I did already order another GAP chambered in the 300 PRC. I also broke in the 6.5 yesterday. That rifle is 10 times the shooter I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X