No announcement yet.

A-max fragmenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't tell all the animals i killed with 168 amax out of a 308 that amax is not a hunting bullet. They are going to be ******.

Weight retention does tend to be poor. But I'm in the business of making stuff dead, not making bullets come out whole. I shot a an aoudad at 533 yards and the copper jacket was just under the skin on the off side. I think it had a small amount of lead in the rear end of the jacket. Exit holes are good but not needed when you watch stuff tip over. I'm a fan of maximum energy transfer. I'm not arguing that there are better choices fore a hunting bullet. But I am saying that they have worked very well as a hunting bullet for me for deer, pigs, yotes, and aoudad. I can't remember having to trail anything shot with them.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      That's what I shoot out of my 300 Blk. I've only used them for head shooting pigs. It works fine for that. I have killed two pigs with one shot. It was sort of unintentional but passed through the first pigs head and hit another in the neck.
      AR platform or bolt gun? What's your velocity? Thanks for the I sight.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
        How are these Amax pills at subsonic speeds in 300blkout?

No expansion at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
          AR platform or bolt gun? What's your velocity? Thanks for the I sight.

No clue on velocity. It's a suppressed Ruger Ranch, bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
            Don't tell all the animals i killed with 168 amax out of a 308 that amax is not a hunting bullet. They are going to be ******.

Weight retention does tend to be poor. But I'm in the business of making stuff dead, not making bullets come out whole. I shot a an aoudad at 533 yards and the copper jacket was just under the skin on the off side. I think it had a small amount of lead in the rear end of the jacket. Exit holes are good but not needed when you watch stuff tip over. I'm a fan of maximum energy transfer. I'm not arguing that there are better choices fore a hunting bullet. But I am saying that they have worked very well as a hunting bullet for me for deer, pigs, yotes, and aoudad. I can't remember having to trail anything shot with them.
            Bonded bullets do very well on big large animals, especially shoulder shots. Big animals need to have their running gear taken away from them and a solid or bonded bullet is designed for this. Thin skinned animals can be killed with fragmenting bullets, I had to learn this the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Bonded bullets do very well on big large animals, especially shoulder shots. Big animals need to have their running gear taken away from them and a solid or bonded bullet is designed for this. Thin skinned animals can be killed with fragmenting bullets, I had to learn this the hard way.
              What are you calling big animals? I've killed pigs in 200-300# range that did not take a step. I shot a 200# plus buck behind the last rib that went through the off side shoulder. I'm not saying that you are not correct. Only that the Amax has made an excellent hunting bullet in my experience. It may burn me eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                What are you calling big animals? I've killed pigs in 200-300# range that did not take a step. I shot a 200# plus buck behind the last rib that went through the off side shoulder. I'm not saying that you are not correct. Only that the Amax has made an excellent hunting bullet in my experience. It may burn me eventually.
                Nilgai, moose, bear and other animals in this size range. Amax will work on pigs and deer sized game.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  Nilgai, moose, bear and other animals in this size range. Amax will work on pigs and deer sized game.
                  Gotcha. I could not agree more on those species.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Never used the A max in a 243, but we have used the 100 grain interlock and they work pretty good. We have also had very good results with federal blue box 100 grain power shok.

Comment

Working...
                    X