Elk101 hunting accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk101 hunting accident

if you guys haven't seen the video look it up on youtube and watch the whole thing-at the end they talk about what they have added to their first aid kits after this happened.

I will be upgrading my kit for sure

Point is its very easy to get hurt .. On my last CO hunt I was sitting in a ground blind I had made and Some how when I turned to look behind me the arrow on the bow slid out I turned back around and the arrow sliced clean through my pants near my calf and it was a very small cut on my leg .. That could have been very bad . I was over 1.5 miles in and cell service was dead , Guys in my camp had an idea where I was was but like general 1/4 mile radius .

Good info for sure

Comment

great post, ordered

Comment

I was impressed how calm everyone was--thank goodness they had cell service and good maps to figure a way to get him out

Comment

Link to the video?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
            Link to the video?
            sorry I don't know how to post a link--look up elk101 on youtube and its the most current video they posted

Comment

Is it the one that says stuck a bh in my leg? Perhaps you can link the video.

Go to the address bar and right click anywhere in the middle of the address. It will highlight the entire address. Then left click and you'll get a drop down menu. Click copy.

Go to post of TBH and right click where you type the post and click paste.

IF it's the one on top that's over an hour long, I'll listen on the way to the lease later today.
              Last edited by Slick8; 11-16-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Last week, we released Episode 9 of the Elk Talk Podcast, which included my conversation with David Brinker about the “broadhead in the leg” incident that we experienced while hunting Roosevelt elk together in Oregon. If you haven’t had a chance to listen to this Episode, it’s worth a listen. Click one of the links

Here is the article.

Comment

Destination Elk - Day 4: This has been one of the most anticipated episodes of the series! Watch as the guys face a real backcountry emergency, and see how t...

And the video.

Comment

For all of the real paramedics / trauma care people on the green screen, what are must haves for stopping blood loss?

I have a CAT TQ, Israeli battle dressing, gauze patches, and medical grade adhesive. I try to carry this in all vehicles and in a pack when I go outdoors hunting, fishing, or hiking.

Comment

Thanks Big Ace

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                        For all of the real paramedics / trauma care people on the green screen, what are must haves for stopping blood loss?

I have a CAT TQ, Israeli battle dressing, gauze patches, and medical grade adhesive. I try to carry this in all vehicles and in a pack when I go outdoors hunting, fishing, or hiking.
                        Tourniquet of some sort is the biggest thing, and sometimes it can take 2. The knowledge of putting them on properly goes a long way as well. The idea is to completely stop blood flow above the wound, meaning you shouldn't feel a pulse anymore. Wound packing is another thing to know, gauze with clotting aids packed as deep into the wound as you can possibly get it, and as much gauze as you can pack into it. For major blood loss, another big life saver is keeping the patient warm, even if its 75-80 degrees outside, keeping their body temp normal is very important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. Good thinking using the game bags as a "gauze". IMO, the Leuko tape saved the day. They are fortunate they had cell service. This illustrates the importance of having something akin to an "Inreach".
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                            Tourniquet of some sort is the biggest thing, and sometimes it can take 2. The knowledge of putting them on properly goes a long way as well. The idea is to completely stop blood flow above the wound, meaning you shouldn't feel a pulse anymore. Wound packing is another thing to know, gauze with clotting aids packed as deep into the wound as you can possibly get it, and as much gauze as you can pack into it. For major blood loss, another big life saver is keeping the patient warm, even if its 75-80 degrees outside, keeping their body temp normal is very important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                            This is sound advice for arterial bleeds plus direct pressure over the wound, even after the tourniquet. For non-arterial, direct pressure. And the body temp is extremely important as stated. He should NOT have driven himself. Sorry guys but this is not the time to be shy about riding an ATV with another guy. If it had started bleeding again and he passed out he would have been in trouble.
                            Last edited by nursejenn; 11-16-2018, 10:21 AM. Reason: Just watched the video and want to add a couple of things...

Comment

Working...
                            X