2018 Chevy 1500 Silverado towing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Chevy 1500 Silverado towing ?

Tossing around the idea of trading my F250 in own a Chevy z71 1500. 5.3 motor with 3.42 rear end. Just wondering how well it will pull a trailer. 16’ Trailer with lawn mowers or ranger on it? 22’ Boat? 30’ camper occasionally?

Get a 6.2 if you can... Mowers and Ranger will be fine unless loaded down in the hills or mountains.... Camper won’t be a ton of fun.

Comment

I thought about the 6.2 but I’ve heard they get horrible fuel mileage. Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaS View Post
        I thought about the 6.2 but I’ve heard they get horrible fuel mileage. Is this true?
        14/18 in mine

5.3l would be fine for the 16' trailer and the boat, it probably won't like the camper but it would pull it. Airbags would help.

Comment

I pull a 16' trailer with a CJ 5 ,20 bags of corn and it pulled just fine. I think I
          was at 16 MPG with my Z71 and 5.3.

Comment

I’ve done the exact thing you’re wanting to do and am currently back in a 2500 diesel! The 1500, 5.3, was great for everyday pulling of a trailer and ranger but put a camper on there and watch it sink! We have a 28’ camper that’s about 6,000-7,000 lbs dry and that truck struggled! Gas mileage tanked, speed tanked, and I had to put air bags on it for the drop in the rear end. Good luck getting on a highway or pulling up an incline. I highly, highly advise against this if you pull a camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              14/18 in mine

5.3l would be fine for the 16' trailer and the boat, it probably won't like the camper but it would pull it. Airbags would help.

He’s right. It will pull it, but won’t be happy about it. I felt like I would be replacing a transmission or a rear end soon every time I pulled my camper with it.

Comment

Really only pull my camper 30 miles tops. And don’t do that very often

Comment

The Ranger and boat won’t ever be an issue. You will not enjoy pulling the camper though. Ive pulled a 22’ bumper pull travel trailer with my 15 Z71 and hated every minute of it. I pulled a 12’ tandem axle with side by side and 16’ tandem axle with side by side and ATV on them both through the mountains without issue. The travel trailer was on flat land from Lubbock to Stephenville, and it sucked. I’m in an 18 5.3 GMC now, and same story. Does fine with the flatbed and side by side, but I won’t pull much more than that with it. My 350 will handle anything larger.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaS View Post
                    Tossing around the idea of trading my F250 in own a Chevy z71 1500. 5.3 motor with 3.42 rear end. Just wondering how well it will pull a trailer. 16’ Trailer with lawn mowers or ranger on it? 22’ Boat? 30’ camper occasionally?
                    If you want to pull a camper with a half ton get the Ford with the ecoboost.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                      If you want to pull a camper with a half ton get the Ford with the ecoboost.
                      I'm sure that is what you drive

Comment

I have airbags and it tows fine camper had 26 foot box 30 feet overall with two slides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FIO17 View Post
                          I’ve done the exact thing you’re wanting to do and am currently back in a 2500 diesel! The 1500, 5.3, was great for everyday pulling of a trailer and ranger but put a camper on there and watch it sink! We have a 28’ camper that’s about 6,000-7,000 lbs dry and that truck struggled! Gas mileage tanked, speed tanked, and I had to put air bags on it for the drop in the rear end. Good luck getting on a highway or pulling up an incline. I highly, highly advise against this if you pull a camper.

My dad has a 2015 5.3 with 3.42 gears and he pulls his 26’ I believe bumper pull with no problems. But he has a weight distribution hitch and he sets the cruise control to 65. When towing with a half ton you have to be realistic when it comes to speed. It’s not just how fast it can or can not go, but more importantly is how well can you safely stop from those speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            My dad has a 2015 5.3 with 3.42 gears and he pulls his 26’ I believe bumper pull with no problems. But he has a weight distribution hitch and he sets the cruise control to 65. When towing with a half ton you have to be realistic when it comes to speed. It’s not just how fast it can or can not go, but more importantly is how well can you safely stop from those speeds.

To each his own I guess.

Comment

We’ve had two GMs with the 6.2 and neither faired any worse than our 5.3s especially towing since they don’t have to push as hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X