ice chest air conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ice chest air conditioner

There was a thread about a home made air conditioner made from an ice chest with a 12 volt fan. I've done a search but can't bring it up. Anybody remember who started it or where it was located?

Thanks

I haven't seen it on here but I've made one and it didn't work very well if you google it it will show a bunch on ideas for them

Comment

It is also on You tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
        It is also on You tube.
        You tube would be the best place to start looking.

I'm getting ready to build one myself.

Comment

Just go to the Search this Forum tab and type in ac and it pulled up two different ones for me on the first page.

Comment

I'm building one now. I'll post pics when I get it finished. I'm running it off of a 12v battery and solar panel. I hope it works.

Comment

Looking forward to the pic's

Comment

I made one back in the mid 90`s that worker real good just a lot of work packing ice up the ladder

Comment

Here you go

Comment

That looks great and a very reasonable price. Anyone used one though?

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                      I just bought one of these ^^^^^^

Not very impressed with the fan as there is nothing but gravity to hold the fan blade down. It has a couple of magnets in it that makes it rotate around the windings. When I first plugged it in, the fan kept hitting the roof. No shaft for the fan blade to keep it riding straight. It needs to be kept on a flat horizontal surface to function properly or the fan blade hits the exhaust exit. I put the unit in a 28 qt chest just as the web sight said. But it leaves a gap between the end(s) of the unit, and the chest, that need to be filled to keep the air exhausting in the proper exit. Exhaust is weak even when gap is filled. I'm sure if someone used a better grade fan, it would prob work much better.

These were just my observations from the one I just got this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        I just bought one of these ^^^^^^

Not very impressed with the fan as there is nothing but gravity to hold the fan blade down. It has a couple of magnets in it that makes it rotate around the windings. When I first plugged it in, the fan kept hitting the roof. No shaft for the fan blade to keep it riding straight. It needs to be kept on a flat horizontal surface to function properly or the fan blade hits the exhaust exit. I put the unit in a 28 qt chest just as the web sight said. But it leaves a gap between the end(s) of the unit, and the chest, that need to be filled to keep the air exhausting in the proper exit. Exhaust is weak even when gap is filled. I'm sure if someone used a better grade fan, it would prob work much better.

These were just my observations from the one I just got this week.

Thanks for the review, Mike.
                        I've considered one of those but I will have more fun and anguish building one

Comment

I bought a small 12v fan at Grainger for about $25.00. It moves 31.7 cubic feet of air per minute. Should be good for what I am doing. I'm thinking ice, frozen water bottles and some water will get it done for me. I'm putting a pretty big solar panel and regulator on the blind so I should have plenty of power. I'm hunting a ground blind so I don't have to carry any of it up a ladder.

Comment

Has anyone tried to make one with a battery operated fan? Just wondering how much air it would put out.

Comment

The 12 volt car fans that people use when the a/c is out will move plenty of air for this application and will run all night on the battery and not kill it. I plan on using one for my cooler a/c

Comment

Working...
                              X