I could use some help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could use some help?

Gentlemen, I jumped a buck while scouting LBJ, what is the best approach to take. He ran off with his tail up stopped about 35 yards away looked at me some more and ran off with his tail up once again. There were rubs near the area and a creek. Please any advise would help. Thank you and God Bless!

If he is rubbing I don't think he will leave the area as he is marking his territory. I would sit several yards from the rub line, wind to my face and see what direction he is coming out, then I would make my plan from there (bow hunting) Or if I had a gun I would wait 30 yards or so off the rub line trail and do what comes natural when he shows his self. BOOOOOOM...! He won't roam from that area too far unless some other hunters move him.

Comment

I think you'll be fine. deer on public land are somewhat used to the traffic and usually don't run off. Usually they just learn to avoid people or I've seen them watch as you or someone else goes by and then carry on with what they were doing.
      Last edited by switchback; 10-27-2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

very true. deer on public land become accustomed to hunters, but dont use this as an excuse to get sloppy in your preparations, ie scent control and hunting the wind.

Comment

I sat up in a tree last week for about 6 hours, but when I was intering my stand I jumped another deer, it did'nt snort at me, it just bolted through the bushes. I was trying to be as quiet and stealthy as possible and I attempted to descent my self as best as I possibly could...man there is so much to learn!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help guys!

So anyone know where the hogs are?

Comment

Try to walk into the wind. Sometimes that means making a BIG circle before coming in to your stand. Don't circle in a direction that will allow your scent to blow into your hunting area though. Stay downwind as much as possible. You can descent yourself silly, but you'll just smell a little less like a human.

Comment

I'm realizing how important it is to pay attention at the wind report and my maps so that I can plan my approach to the area I am hunting. Seems so obvious now...what was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X