Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
bm22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cotulla,TX
Default Broadhead expectations

What do you look for or expect from your broadheads? Do you consider them a success if you find the deer, do you expect the head to come out damaged, should the head come out fine?

The reason I ask is I shot a deer this afternoon with a broadhead that I don't consider has "replaceable" blades. I expected to sharpen the head and shoot something else with it. It came out the other side of the animal missing the bleeders and the main blade and ferrule severly damaged and bent. Then was a heart/bottom of the lung shot. Deer fell in sight.

Am I asking too much?
bm22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

The damage is the reason I shoot onlly stainless Bear Razorheads on deer. Last two shots I've pulled the arrow out of the dirt/rocks (1 miss, one pass-thru), cleaned them off, sharpened them, and stuck them back on the same shafts for the next hunt.

Only damage I've had with shots on game, either hogs or deer, is the bleeder blade coming out somewhere and some minor chips in the edges.

And, I expect two things from my BHs---take and hold a razor-sharp edge, and fly right (and I use 4" vanes to help with this).
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

If a broadhead gets the job done. as it did then it's done. If you get to shoot it again after sharpening it's a bonus.

People worry to much on if I can shoot that head again.
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

I was very pleased Friday evening with the grim reaper hybrids I just ordered last week. Shot a sow at 23 yrds. Complete pass through and into the ground. Zero damage to the fixed blade side or the mechanical side. I will continue to shoot these.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Low Fence
Pope & Young

1. Spin straight and fly straight... And well tuned bow will shoot that combo well

2. Sharp, easy to replace blades at a reasonable cost

3. Steel feral , no room for aluminum junk on the business end on an arrow. If it breaks before exit it ain't doing its job

4 thick blades. It blades are broke off before exit, they ain't doing their job.

I've shot slick trick mags for years now and have killed over 100 animals with them, unless quality changes, I won't switch
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Never worried what a BH looks like after a kill. If it does it's job, fine, if it can be resharpened and reused, fine, but if not, I have others that will replace it.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
dadams
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

If you damage a Magnus they will replace it free. I like the Black Hornets. They fly great, are sharp, durable, penetrate great and make big holes. Easily resharpened and if you hit a rock or something and they get bent or broken they will will replace it.
dadams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

Just the other day, on night shift I took my bow box to work and went to town with a lansky. I was able to disassemble my rages that were dull from kills, my reapers that were also dull and some trophy ridge rubber band broadhead that I killed a doe with this year. All took an edge well and went back in the quiver. That's pretty much all I can ask for
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
1. Spin straight and fly straight... And well tuned bow will shoot that combo well

3. Steel feral , no room for aluminum junk on the business end on an arrow. If it breaks before exit it ain't doing its job

4 thick blades. It blades are broke off before exit, they ain't doing their job.

I've shot slick trick mags for years now and have killed over 100 animals with them, unless quality changes, I won't switch
Great post. All good reasons why I shoot ST MAGs too. I do like 4 blades and the price is right.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

Have to agree with Kyle
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
bm22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams View Post
If you damage a Magnus they will replace it free. I like the Black Hornets. They fly great, are sharp, durable, penetrate great and make big holes. Easily resharpened and if you hit a rock or something and they get bent or broken they will will replace it.
I was excited to shoot the black hornets but after what happened I am scared to shoot them at a big buck. Replace for free or not, heaven forbid I hit a leg bone
Or scapula and the thing not penetrate. I think the aluminum ferrule is the problem. I am going to save the other two for hogs and see how they do. I was saddened when they discontinued the razor tricks. I still have enough left I will use until I can find its replacement.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

I shoot slick trick 125g in my crossbow.

Currently shoot Rage 2-blade 100g in my wheel bow, but thinking about switching to slick trick 100g.

I shot a doe last week with crossbow, straight thru heart, hit no bones, and buried itself in a huisache limb laying on the ground.

I pulled it out of limb, no chips, bends, or dents in the blades or tip.

I will not hesitate to reuse it again.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447126664.905699.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447126682.722594.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  95.3 KB

Last edited by denowt; 11-09-2015 at 09:36 PM.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
Shaft_Slinger
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise and clay

Heartcraft Xchange lifetime warranty on feral and replaceable blades best part is they are pretty inexpensive and super deadly I have the master pack and plenty of blades left just don't loose the ferals
Shaft_Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
dadams
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm22 View Post
I was excited to shoot the black hornets but after what happened I am scared to shoot them at a big buck. Replace for free or not, heaven forbid I hit a leg bone
Or scapula and the thing not penetrate. I think the aluminum ferrule is the problem. I am going to save the other two for hogs and see how they do. I was saddened when they discontinued the razor tricks. I still have enough left I will use until I can find its replacement.
Any chance the head was not on tight? Did you cinch it down with a BH wrench? I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain Black Hornets this year. Two bucks that field dressed about 160 and a doe. All three were pass throughs and hit bone, one went through the offside shoulder. All 3 then hit hard into the ground and we have rocky soil. The ferrules were fine on all of them, no loss of bleeder blades, main blades were nicked up but could easily be resharpened. It sure sounds like they may not have been solid up against the shaft.
dadams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
bm22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams View Post
Any chance the head was not on tight? Did you cinch it down with a BH wrench? I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain Black Hornets this year. Two bucks that field dressed about 160 and a doe. All three were pass throughs and hit bone, one went through the offside shoulder. All 3 then hit hard into the ground and we have rocky soil. The ferrules were fine on all of them, no loss of bleeder blades, main blades were nicked up but could easily be resharpened. It sure sounds like they may not have been solid up against the shaft.
I will give them another shot but I am 95% sure they were tight. I was shooting an easton axis arrow that was footed with an aluminum arrow so it had a solid base.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I bought slick trick vipers because I wanted a bit of both. I would love to have the blades stay straight and flawless animal after animal, but I don't expect that to be the case. But, I fully expect the ferrule to come out the other side without being dinged, dented, or damaged. The Vipers allow me to have a COC profile with replaceable blades and a tough ferrule.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
ar3731guy
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

the only expectations i have for broadheads are fly straight and main blades should not break or bend. a broken or bent blade is a failed bh. now the bleeders can break, but the main blade better not. nicks are completely acceptable.
just my $0.02....
ar3731guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I agree with the slick trick crowd. (100gr Mag)

Affordable
Durable
Fly like field points
Fixed blade with good cut diameter
And in my case......proven effectiveness. I won't change, if what I am shooting works.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #19
wade _s
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

I expect the broadhead to fly true and kill the animal quickly (provided that I make a good shot). I would prefer to be able to re-use the broadhead. I have been able to re-use every slick trick magnum that I have killed something with (even when the arrow broke or the broadhead was imbeded in bone after the shot). I shot a turkey recently with an original Rage 2 blade and the aluminum shaft of the broadhead bent and it is not re-useable. The rage did a great job killing the turkey and it only went about 5 steps. I am not disappointed in the Rage, but at $14 a pop I wish I could re-use it. Broke my arrow too. Expensive turkey LOL!
wade _s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #20
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Fly straight
Sharp as the dickens
Steel ferrules.... period
Blades that won't break apart on ribs
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top