Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speeding Ticket....Pay or Defensive Driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TENKILLER View Post
    See if they will do deferred adjudication! (sp) you still have to pay...If they will it is most likely 90 days probation as long as you don't get another ticket in their city!
    x2

Comment

Hey Oscar,
      You should have come up and taken DD class with Kimberly on Monday!
      She took it at Joe's Crab Shack, comedy thing.
      I took the same class last year.
      Great people watching... you'll meet some interesting people in a defensive driving course.

Take the class with your wife and you can knock down your combined auto insurance bill as well.

Comment

fix 'em a sauce piquant or crawfish etoufee' and see if you can bribe them to make your ticket disappear

Comment

GET A TICKET ATTORNEY! For about 150.00 they make it go away and it never goes on your record. I have used them 4 times now for myself and family members and not one ticket stuck. Do not pay it do not take DD or def ajud. GET A TRAFFIC TICKET ATTORNY. Best 150.00 you will ever spend.

Comment

Defensive driving all the way. You have until well into 2009 to get it completed.

Comment

Take DD. You might learn something and it will save you money on your insurance. With the exception of a couple of coverages, it will reduce your insurance premium by 10% and it's good for 3 years so you'll save way more than it costs to take it. Plus it keeps the citation off your record.

Believe it or not, a lot of folks don't realize you can take DD just for the discount and learning experience. Many folks think you have to have received a citation to take it.

Deferred adjudication will also keep the cite off your record but does not give you any discount on the insurance.

Trailboss

Comment

Deferred Adjudication.

That way if you get another ticket in a jurisdiction that won't offer Deferred Adjudication, then you can take defensive driving.

Remember - you can only take defensive driving once a year for purposes of dismissing a traffic ticket.

Also - paying the ticket adds points to your driving record. You don't want that.

A traffic ticket attorney is great, but the Court may require Oscar to be present in Court. (Even though I think there is some language in the Code that says an attorney can handle a case without the client being present) I think you're mostly banking on the officer not to show up. Less likely in smaller jurisdictions.

My .02

Comment

Trailboss,

If you take DD to dismiss a citation, can you use that same course to get the 10% discount?

I'm one of the nerds that takes DD for the 10% insurance discount.

Comment

Yep.....do the defered. Im sure you dont get many and 90 days goes by pretty quick. Usually the cheapest way out.

Ticket attorney advice is cool....as long as the particular P.D. doesnt discipline thier officers if they "miss" court. Becasue all a ticket attorney does is drag your case out...appeal it to the county it was issued in, and ask for a Jury trial in County court...They are hoping the cops dont show up 8 months down the road. If they are required to by their department to show up..your pretty much screwed because county court judges HATE hearing class c tickets in thier courts...

Comment

Attorney

Originally posted by Huntjunkie View Post
                      GET A TICKET ATTORNEY! For about 150.00 they make it go away and it never goes on your record. I have used them 4 times now for myself and family members and not one ticket stuck. Do not pay it do not take DD or def ajud. GET A TRAFFIC TICKET ATTORNY. Best 150.00 you will ever spend.
                      I have never used one for a ticket. What is their process for getting it taken care of?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechlady View Post
                        I have never used one for a ticket. What is their process for getting it taken care of?
                        Read my post above.....but basically they Appeal your citation to the County Level....Ask for multiple resets and drag your case out for months. They are banking on the officer NOT showing up after months of resets . If the Officer does show up, your most likely out your 150, PLUS your fine and court costs.

Depends on where you get the ticket, and what that particular departments policy is on officers appearing in court. Most have to be there or face internal discipline for failing to appear in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullydog View Post
                          Read my post above.....but basically they Appeal your citation to the County Level....Ask for multiple resets and drag your case out for months. They are banking on the officer NOT showing up after months of resets . If the Officer does show up, your most likely out your 150, PLUS your fine and court costs.

Depends on where you get the ticket, and what that particular departments policy is on officers appearing in court. Most have to be there or face internal discipline for failing to appear in court.
                          Sounds like a big gamble. I did defensive driving for one a couple of years ago and it wasn't bad at all.

Comment

OT..........RUN!!!! live the life of an outlaw brotha!

Na just pay it and be done. Most of the defensive driving is a freakin joke anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by A&M 90 View Post
                              Deferred Adjudication.

That way if you get another ticket in a jurisdiction that won't offer Deferred Adjudication, then you can take defensive driving.

Remember - you can only take defensive driving once a year for purposes of dismissing a traffic ticket.

Also - paying the ticket adds points to your driving record. You don't want that.

A \
                              Exactly, I got a ticket outside of Brackettville. They do not offer deferred adjudication, and I had taken defensive driving 11 months before.....basically I was screwed.

Comment

do the defnesive driving and tell your insurance company that you took it and most of them will give u a discount on insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X