Hunting On Ft Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting On Ft Hood

Does anyone hunt on Ft Hood? Would like to know if the Hog hunting is good on-post? Thanks

Most of the hogs are in areas near Belton lake on the east side of post.All the info you need to hunt on Ft Hood is here www.forthoodhunting.com

DJ

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it. I already had that link, however it mentions nothing about the quality of hog hunting.

Comment

I used to spend a lot of time on Hood, and a fair amout of time out at night. I would say the hog population is 'light' with the possible exception of the small area near Gatesville where the Leon River touches the post. I said 'light' not non-existant.

We can speculate all day as to why they don't do well on Hood, not a lot of thick cover, not much mast, and even hogs won't eat cedar. Javalina can eat cactus, but I have never heard of nor seen feral hogs eating it. Not a lot of good wallows. I personally think it is predation. Coyotes, & bobcats are almost never hunted there and so are pretty common on Hood. If a pig reaches 100 lbs then it has few natural enemies, but I think few piglets on Hood survive to reach that size.

I suspect predation is the primary reason because there are a lot more hogs around Stillhouse Hollow, yet it has similar terrain. The differance is that there is supression of peradators there.
        Last edited by NightStalker; 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X