sharing my custom rifle knowledge and insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sharing my custom rifle knowledge and insight

recv'd a few PM's and the post below from SoTx ....
    hope this thread helps those who are new to custom rifles and the terminology sounds Greek

Originally posted by sotx View Post
    Well Mr Blake I have been thinking about having a 7 SAUM built. I would like a bolt action single shot. What is a good action, barrel and stock combo? This will be a hunting rifle would like it to weigh under 10lbs or less.
    First and foremost we have to establish a budget, and work around your spending allowance. The 3 main components will be the: action, stock, and barrel. The trigger is also important as I'll discuss that later. You already have it narrowed down to a hunting rifle, and the 7 SAUM cartridge. I'm assuming you reload, correct ?? If you hand load the skies the limit.

Let's discuss the action. You can go with a factory Rem 700 that should be trued, blueprinted, and single shot follower installed. Estimated cost around $700 after machine work and cerakote. Or you can purchase a custom "single shot" action which are priced from $950 to $1750 depending on manufacturer and options. Traditional factory actions are configured as "right bolt/right port". My shooting preference is "right bolt/left port" single-shot since I find loading a follow-up shot easier. This is how I was raised to shoot rifles from the bench and in the field. See pics below

I recommend an action with a Black Nitride, PVD, DLC, Birdsong Black T, or similar nitride coating. If you don't like the black finish on the action, at least get the bolt done. This coating has a high corrosion resistance, and low coefficient of friction. Pretty much all action manufacturers offer the "700 footprint" so their action can drop-in a stock inletted for a Rem 700. Below are links to: Kelbly, Borden, Stiller, Defiance, BAT, Curtis, and Surgeon just to name a few. Comes down to a matter of personal choice and what appeals to you. I own 5-6 Kelbly actions and fixing to build another. Their ATLAS tactical action priced at $999 is the best bang for your buck. Nitride coating and includes the picatinny rail.

https://www.kelbly.com/actions-steel...-tactical.html

https://bordenrifles.com/custom-acti...rline-actions/

https://stilleractions.com/custom-tactical-actions/

http://defiancemachine.com/

https://www.batmachine.com/actions/

http://www.curtiscustom.com/product/axiom-4/

https://surgeonrifles.com/shop/

The stock: again a matter of personal choice based on feel and the type of shooting you will be doing. Prices vary from $250 to $1600+. McMillan and Manners are the top dogs, as Grayboe (McM sister company), HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, are just a few of the other options. Chassis stocks are also gaining in popularity. Positive - no need to bed. Negative - price. Since you want a single shot, you can order an ADL inlet with blind magazine. Then have your GS pillar and glass bed to barreled action.

The barrel: half a dozen options on barrel maker costing from $350 to $825. Then you will need to select contour, finished length, and twist rate (based on weight of bullet you intend to shoot). Barrels to research: Bartlein, Lilja, HART, Kreiger, Broughton, Proof Research (carbon fiber wrap), Brux, Rock Creek, etc..

The trigger: priced from $125 to $400. Shilen, properly tuned 700, Timney, Jewell, BixN Andy.

The GunSmith: possibly the most important decision. Call around, ask questions, select a GS you feel comfortable with. Don't shop GS's based on price or geography. I've used GS's located in Arizona, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, Idaho, Colorado, Penn., New Jersey, Alabama, Oregon, and several States I'm probably missing. Trust your instincts and make sure you are 100% content especially since you will be spending $1500 ~ $4500 on your dream build. Words of wisdom - after confirming the details and dropping off (mailing) your parts, don't call and bother the GS every month. He likely has 50 - 100+ customers ahead of you. Time on the phone takes away from machine and bedding work. If your GS has all the parts in stock, then you're months ahead of the game

Rem 700 custom, HS stock, fluted barrel

Kelby Kodiak, RB/RP, Stolle varminter stock, Jewell 12 oz. trigger, ABS barrel (my newest toy)

Surgeon custom rifle

Kelbly Kodiak RB/LP polished single shot, Kelbly varminter stock, Jewell 12 oz trigger, 20 Beggs

Stiller Predator action, Manners MCS-T stock

Farley Firefly action RB/RB single shot, MPI t/h stock, 17 Ackley Hornet

Stolle / Kelbly Grizzly II action, RB/LP single shot, McM Hunter class stock, .223

Nesika Model T, RB/RP single shot, McM stock, 6.5x284

Kelbly Kodiak Tactical, single shot, RB/LP/Right eject, Kelbly stock, 30BR

Kelbly Kodiak Tactical repeater RB/RP, Kelbly stock, .223

Sexy rifles for sure

Comment

Blake - I hope you don’t mind me chiming in but I’m in a similar situation - I want a 6.5 custom rifle and have it narrowed down to 6.5 x 284 or a 6.5 SAUM.

I do reload but still somewhat of a novice.

My question has to do with reamer specs - I have done ID neck turning but I’m confused about things I’ve read with regards to reamer specs and need / no need to neck turn. (Plus things like bore rider - I just don’t understand)

Is this something I could talk through with a GS once I spec out my build or should I consult professional help before talking to a GS (i.e. talk to PG&T?)

Comment

Those 30br’s are scary accurate. Beautiful rifles sir! Curious about the 20 Beggs too.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
          Blake - I hope you don’t mind me chiming in but I’m in a similar situation - I want a 6.5 custom rifle and have it narrowed down to 6.5 x 284 or a 6.5 SAUM.

I do reload but still somewhat of a novice.

My question has to do with reamer specs - I have done ID neck turning but I’m confused about things I’ve read with regards to reamer specs and need / no need to neck turn. (Plus things like bore rider - I just don’t understand)

Is this something I could talk through with a GS once I spec out my build or should I consult professional help before talking to a GS (i.e. talk to PG&T?)

1st thing I'd do is decide on cartridge. Of the 2, I'd lean towards the 6.5x284 since i have zero experience with the SAUM. If wanting a fun, stupidly accurate gun to shoot all day long, I'd go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. Personally I'd go with a cartridge that offers Lapua brass. If strictly shooting factory ammo, go .260 and don't look back .... so much simpler

Does your GS have the 6.5 reamer available ? If so, what is the neck dimensions. ... tight neck, no-neck turn, etc... If your GS doesn't have the reamer, call Dave Kiff @ PTG and have him walk you thru the process. He will need to know: brass, neck wall thickness, and tight neck or no-neck turn.

I've neck turned to .0085 ~ .0010" for years and it gets old. I now barely clean up the necks to .0140 ~ .0145" and roll with a Type S bushing die. Hope that helps

Comment

Good info Blake

Comment

Great post and beautiful working collection.

Comment

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing. Can this be stickyied?

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by .17fireball View Post
                  Those 30br’s are scary accurate. Beautiful rifles sir! Curious about the 20 Beggs too.
                  220 Russian (Lapua brass) necked down to .20 caliber. Developed by my long time benchrest friends Gene Beggs and Arnold Jewell. Stupidly accurate and results in the cessation of all biological functions

25.2 grs N133 under a 40 gr Berger = 4100 fps.
                  26.0 grs N133 under a 35 gr Berger = 4350 fps.

Comment

^

Comment

ABS barrel? ABS is the brand?

Is that last rifle a wood stock or painted? Hard to tell on my phone. Nice guns senor!!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        ABS barrel? ABS is the brand?

Is that last rifle a wood stock or painted? Hard to tell on my phone. Nice guns senor!!
                        darn rookies, I gotta teach y'all everything I know

ABS is PROOF's daddy
                        https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...urfaces.76358/

Advanced Barrel Systems sold to KK Jense who changed the name to PROOF

the bottom stock is a Kelbly sporter hunting stock in fiberglass / graphite gelcoat as the color is called "copper penny".

Comment

CB

Call / PM me if anything that has has lost her romance with ya & may want to change hands at nanza to find a new good home amigo. Not going out of my way or any hurry but could use a 4-14x40ao leupy & still want to find a moderately priced 36x or higher br scope if it falls in your lap between then.

That 20tac has become my new go to ranch ride & varmint companion to the 280 blind rig...Oh, I also just acquired a McMil sporter stock direct from Volquartsen & waiting for the stamp. You are gonna love her new outfit & the wait sucks!!

Still No luck & searching for some 'good' wmr ammo to surface...see ya soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            darn rookies, I gotta teach y'all everything I know

ABS is PROOF's daddy
                            https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...urfaces.76358/

Advanced Barrel Systems sold to KK Jense who changed the name to PROOF

the bottom stock is a Kelbly sporter hunting stock in fiberglass / graphite gelcoat as the color is called "copper penny".

Thought so. Aerospace and ballistics yada yada haha. Making sure I wasn’t missing another option

Comment

Pretty sweet collection! That copper penny is a real eye catcher.
                              I bought a Christensen Ridgeline a few months back. Have you had any dealings with their carbon wrapped barrels?

Comment

Working...
                              X