Lease opening, Val Verde Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease opening, Val Verde Co.

We are going to have one opening next season on our Val Verde county lease. Our pasture is right at 1800 acres. We are 11-12 miles east down FM 1024 from Pandale Road. This is very rugged country, but it has really grown on us. Our guys range from 35-70 years old and live in Austin or Dripping Springs. By the time we make a grocery stop, it is usually about 5 hours on the road for us.

We have electric and water at our camp although it is no club med. We have a nice lit skinning rack in camp. We also have access to a walk-in cooler at the ranch HQ.

I am the captain of our pasture, and this will be our 6th season on the place. This is not a trophy lease, but there are some nice deer running around. We have more bucks than does, it has always been that way out there. We started seeing mule deer 3 seasons ago, but only bucks. I have only seen one true mature MD buck. Largest WT we have killed on our pasture has been a 142” 10 pt. Most mature bucks will be 115-135”.

Bow and gun allowed. Currently only my brother and I bow hunt, October is awesome out there, deer really are usually pretty cooperative. I have several good bow setups, but who am I kidding you can never have too many bow setups. So bring it on.

We have ridiculous amounts of hogs, plenty of dove, and decent quail numbers the past few years. Year round access.

Harvest allotment:
    2 WT bucks, or 1 WT/1MD. We like all of the bucks we shoot to be 4+ years old and 8 points or better. Please don’t shoot a mule deer just because it’s a mule deer, we have LOADS of 8pt whitetail that I would prefer you take.
    2 WT does
    2 turkey, gobblers only
    Exotic BUCKS ONLY
    Exotics are in limited numbers, but we have had decent numbers of aoudad off and on. Occasional Blackbuck, fallow. Only one axis picture in 5 years. No livestock on property currently, but in the next 3 years we may have cattle rotated through our pasture.

Family friendly with pretty relaxed guest policy. Family and guests hunt off of your tags. Guests need to sit with you if deer hunting.

We have 9 blinds and feeders, 3 water stations, 2 protein stations and a dammed up water catchment that holds water most of the year. Several blinds are 2-3 person sized. 3 feeders with motion sensing solar lights for off season night hunting.

We are a COMMUNITY BLIND pasture. Another member and I own all of the stands, feeders, and gear. So the way we do it is basically everyone has a blind they get first choice to hunt. If you are not there, the blind is up for grabs. We all are good friends, and like to have changes of scenery, so you will have a chance to hunt any blind you want. Half the time we decide our plan over coffee in the morning. A little cutting up at night, but everyone is usually lights out by 10pm.

We are looking for someone that will fit in well with our established group. We do things the way we do them, and I would love to fill the spot with someone with a good attitude that may not have piles of gear to fill up a lease with. TBH seemed like a good place to start.

Cost:
    $2500/gun
    $833.33 due immediately (I already covered it) then follow up payments due 6/1 and 9/1.
    $100/year/camper for electric on 9/1.
    40 bags of corn (minimum) over course of year.
    We try and coordinate a couple of work day weekends a year to tackle big jobs and do general improvements. If you can’t make any of the workdays, or make any time in the off season to keep feeders filled, etc, you will not fit in with our group. Showing up expecting to hunt on opening day is pretty frowned upon.
    I have a 3 year agreement at this price. I will be out at some time next month if anyone wants to make the drive to take a look. Please PM me for details, or if you have any more questions. I will attach a few of the pictures I could dig up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TP3; 01-25-2018, 09:13 PM.

A few more pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a great group and great opportunity-shouldn't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me. Someone should jump on this opportunity. I would but I'm not needing a lease right now.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I like the way y'all run the lease !!! Not searching but sounds like my kind of lease !!

Comment

I am very interested. Is this a year round lease? I have a camper with 1000lb feeder and a 600lb feeder. How many acres? Text me anything to 903-654-8713. I hunt with my kiddo. We don’t split up and hunt I love to watch him grow as a hunter. I have camper and can drink an entire keg of coors light in a night. No I don’t drink and have no issues with anyone who does. I have been a RN for 17 years and I do take my Yorker to lease but he stays in camper. I also have a mule with 2 seats.

Comment

1800 acres, 6 paid spots. Sorry had to edit post to add.

Comment

Looks like a beautiful place

Comment

Put me in line, please. I am sure I'd be a great member. Sending you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                      Looks like a beautiful place
                      If you like rocks you will love it haha.
                      Good area for arrowheads though, we find them on surface from time to time.

Comment

Not looking right now but it definitely sounds like my kind of lease!

Comment

Man, I wish something like this had popped up when I was looking for a lease!!!

This sounds absolutely perfect to me. A community lease with a good group means everyone gets to benefit from the whole place!!!!

Good luck filling the spot!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Community leases are not what everyone is used to, I understand that.

Like Bisch said, it gives everyone the opportunity to really enjoy the place. This is just the way we have always done it since I was a kid. Of course we have the same guys now as we had then, so that helps.
                            It isn't a problem if you want to camp out on a particular blind or deer, but they aren't off limits unless you can write your name on one. If you aren't there, you need to root from home not blow up my phone asking where everyone is hunting, etc.

Comment

I've always liked that country. Hunted near Sanderson and there are a lot of deer in those canyons and hiding in the brush.

Hope you find a good fit for the place. It sounds like you have it set up just right.

Comment

Working...
                              X