Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    What's a travel trailer's tip over wind speed? Wondering if I should pull it in the barn. Deer lease trailer, so not insured.

That dirty bastage Ike layed my other one over on its side.
    I'm kinda wondering the same, mine is in Columbus at the lease, but if this thing comes to shore as a 4 and looking at some of the tracks, there can still be hurricane force winds that far inland. It's insured, but I'd reeeeally rather not have to deal with that mess.

Comment

No rv hook ups but lots of land to park rv's etc on but I'm in Mills county.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Well crud, I went and deleted my comment and then realized it was already quoted. lol Sorry, should of kept that to myself.

I don't see this as an over hyped weather event. I believe when I started this thread, people weren't even aware of this and a few were wondering why hasn't the news picked up on this so it was under hyped at the time. What is going on now is not being over hyped, it is called reality.

Even if Harvey came in as a Cat 1 hurricane, the damage would be substantial because of the collapsing of steering currents causing major flooding issues. Now he is forecasted to be a category 3 major hurricane so the storm surge will be tremendous ( stalling out along the coast...the water just keeps piling up) and now we have serious wind damage to deal with.

After a day or 2 of just drifting around, he might start to move slowly eastward along the coast or just off the coast keeping his structure in tact and strengthening. The feeder bands just keep whipping the fire out of coastal Texas and even far inland. This torture could last till Monday, Tuesday or even Wednesday next week. If this plays out, then I can't even imagine the devastation. I'm the last one to hype something up...just having a hard time rapping my head around this.

I am hoping like heck y'all come back in here in a couple days and call me a drama queen, I really do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I applaud you for sharing your knowledge and trying to help people out! This is setting up to be an incredibly dangerous system. Tropical systems are dynamic and things change with time. It's easy to criticize others in a stressful situation.

I can't fully comprehend what 20+ inches of rain will look like over the potential area identified today. The thought of this storm churning along the coast for 5 days is mind boggling. I sincerely hope everyone took appropriate precautions or will evacuate. It never hurts to be over prepared.

I hope everyone comes through this safely with minimal loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mary(and other Kingwood folks), some food for thought... In the big rain event in '94 there was no hurricane, just a big rain event caused serious flooding on the San Jacinto River drainage... Kingwood high gym had 3 feet of water in it... Some houses in Mills Branch flooded.... West Lake Houston Parkway was completely inundated. Water went over the guard rails on the 59 bridge... In 2001, with the big flood, it was a lesser rain event, yet many of the same areas flooded worse... back then, that big area where Costco in Humble is now was low lands and marsh... The big gated community that is in River Grove Park area was also just marsh drainage... All the development along Mills Branch and Ford roads was not there back then... The drainage has been seriously diminished since we had a bad storm... Ike did not bring that much rain... yet, Kingwood was seriously damaged by wind with fallen trees, and 3 weeks of no power...

After reading Johnny's post, he said what I was thinking... IF the hype comes true, The rain AND wind Driven with a long duration event, could inundate area of Kingwood that have NEVER flooded. Plus, with the watershed in deteriorated shape from silting and all the development in and around the Kingwood area... You might want to consider GETTING OUT!!

I'm gonna try to get my daughter/son-in-law/grandsons to leave... They've never had a problem other than no power during storms, just regular old garden variety rain/thunder storms... Out here on the prairie we might get lots of rain, but it will run off pretty quick... I hope they will come on out...

Good luck to y'all!

Comment

Well I can say this storm has everyones drama level uptight. I bought my lil bluetick beagle pup some nice chew treats and as I took one from her to come lay on the couch and enjoy it while laying in my lap she layed into me. Bit the crap outta my hand!! Im gonna choke this one up to low pressure storm surge. The next time...shes gonna get a 40 gr muscle relaxer to the medula oblangata! **** you Harvey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Pretty sure we are too. Ya need something, give me a holla!

Roger that! Y'all do the same.

Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Serbin View Post
                U r joking right?

No sir

Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  Whatevers going to happen is going to happen. I'm just ready to get this show on the road.

Thank you to Johnny and Bonesplitter for all of the information. I appreciate it as well.
                  Anytime sir. Were just a couple ole rednecks that enjoy keeping up with the weather. Ole Johnny is hard to beat when it comes to these weather situations. Only thing I can think he is better at is sniffing out arrowheads and other artifacts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                    extended power outages

I know i dont want the hundreds of pounds of meat in my freezers to go to waste. Living out in the country where i do, we are the last to get utilities fixed. And our power has a history of going out in simple thunder storms.
                    this

Comment

Just got home from my second day in a row taking care of stuff in rockport. The roads are absolutely nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                        Thanks for that info....I'm just across Mills Branch from you. Mom and I had previous plans to go to San Antonio this weekend (well before storm issue), but I'm not even sure we could make it tomorrow afternoon with all the traffic. She is coming here and I was waiting on info like this to know whether we should chance the traffic or stay. Heavily leaning on staying and not getting on the road in all this.

Howdy neighbor!

This afternoon at 4 I drove up Mills Branch to Porter looking for gas and propane. Had to go all the way to New Caney for gas and struck out on propane. Took over an hour to get home. I am not aware of any evacuations starting from areas this far East or north, but folks are already jamming up the roads. San Antonio is going to be super jacked up just from the people evacuating CC, and I think just about everywhere south of Livingston across to Waco to Llano will be too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                          at least he is dragging, mine isn't doing nothing and doesn't plan on it. Atlas he got him some gas and water.

On a different note some of my immediate has went to school with your immediate family. we should talk one day.
                          Same here! Just getting in. Penned all cattle/horses, hauled welding machines, tools etc. They're taking the first bus off the Island in the morning. Hope all goes well with your pops.

Oh cool! Definitely!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            Show your Dad this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                            Thanks Johnny. I showed him. He'll be leaving in the morning with the animals, Thank goodness!
                            Last edited by ostey22; 08-24-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                              your dad has been through a lot storms on the west end!
                              Yes sir he has. Hope all is well with you!

Comment

We have 7 RV hook ups in Liberty Hill if anyone needs a place.

Comment

Working...
                                X