Seller Refusing to Sign Over Car Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Do you think the guy sold him a stolen car?
    This was my first thought as well. Also, with any cash amount being transferred, I am counting it out in front of whoever is involved. If its not right, the transaction isn't going to happen. As for someone coming back after the sale is complete and saying something is missing or broken, ain't happening.

Sold a table saw to a guy on CL. No car so I brought it to him. Plugged it in, cut some wood and shook hands, DONE. That afternoon he calls and says the saw is broken and wants his money back. I asked him how it was broken? He said we was taking it apart to clean it and when he was reassembling, a bracket broke. I told him the saw worked fine, and it was a good working saw, and he did something to change that. So the repair was on him.

Hope your boy gets this resolved, but if its a matter between the seller and the bank, I think he's in for a wait. It won't matter how many buddies from the unit he takes, he won't get the title.

Comment

In for the end result. There are some crappy people out there...

Comment

Text messages, cash, and Craigslist.

What could go wrong?

Comment

Unfortunately it sounds like your son might have got screwed. I had it happen to me when I was going and naive. From now on I don't Hand over cash until there is a title in hand. Call the cops ASAP.

Comment

I hate to hear this - As a lender I have seen too many Craigslist scams to count when it comes to vehicle purchases. My hope is that he has the vehicle and the bill of sale and the registration office can direct him in how to get a title in hand.

Comment

Devin, I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer, but I will be praying for a quick and easy resolution for your son.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                These are the types of people who need a 4" grinder taken to their shins.
                so far this is the best answer

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                Text messages, cash, and Craigslist.

What could go wrong?
                and this is the most correct

I think we could assign 3 or 4 theft guys solely to craigslist scams and theyd never run out of work. EVER

Comment

I think the Bill of Sale is pretty firm evidence between the buyer and seller that the seller received $13,000 - his signature shows the statements (that he received $13,000) are true.
                  However, the seller receiving the money does nothing for whatever lien there may be on the car by the bank in Minnesota (I'm sure the seller DID NOT mean that the clean title was sitting in a lock box in the bank).
                  Liens on cars are discoverable (UCC-1 search) and a buyer paying a seller without the lien being taken care of doesn't diminish the lien. The buyer may get to pay both the seller and the bank to get a title.

Comment

Oh, man. Hopefully it's not a stolen vehicle. And hopefully he can get a replacement title. I'd talk to the lawyer on base, as recommended. If he can't get a replacement title, then I'd call the cops. Lots of hard lessons to learn in this deal for the young man. Prayers up that it works out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                      Our middle son is Army Infantry stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. He found a truck from an individual on craigslist and paid the guy $13k cash and got a bill of sale from the guy for that amount. The title was "with his bank in Minnesota" and he told our son he'd have it to him in 10 days. This was last Friday.

[ATTACH]869730[/ATTACH]

Yesterday he gets this text from the guy:
                      [ATTACH]869728[/ATTACH]

What's the proper next step besides calling the guy out? Contact police? Lawyer?
                      An Infantry Platoon Sergeant, Squad Leader and fire team should be able to handle this "out of court".

Comment

Infantry?

All he needs is the DIVARTY freq....and a 6 digit grid coordinate of where the seller is standing.

Fire for effect....Over....
                        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Go Kick his but really well.

Comment

Just have Burnadell contact the seller and your son will have the title in 3 business days.[emoji3]
                            Its hard to believe the seller didn't count the money on site.
                            I hope it gets worked out for your son.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
                              Go Kick his but really well.
                              I don't think that'd be a problem. He just got back from 30 days desert training at Fort Bliss.

Before Basic:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	GtoBasic (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	24507332

After:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	GatPD.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	24507331

Old plates are still on the truck.
                              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Whatever the next contact is with the seller, I would make sure it is a "shock and awe" situation....preferably in person!

Comment

Working...
                                X