No announcement yet.

Wife: "Why do you want so much land??"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could tell my wife would get a new car if she agreed. I'd be set. Congrats on that extra windfall.

Comment

Simple answer. They aren't making any more. LOL

Keep buying. Just don't over pay for it.

Comment

Buying land is no different than putting money in an investment, just harder to get to. My Dad always said land was his 401k. He was always self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
          Land's always an investment... that's how you should have started
          That's what I told mine when she asked if I was getting rid of my lease now. It really is an investment in principal but I mainly wanted a closer place to be able to get my girls and her in the outdoors more before they get too old. A 4 hr drive to the lease isn't very conducive to quick trips on weekends between sporting events.

Comment

Get on board and come with me, or stay here....

Life is too short to live in the city.

Comment

My wife is not like yours

If I told her I wanted to buy 1000ac she would just ask if I had a plan to make payments

Comment

$3500 per month can buy a lot more than 60 acres in most places. I've never met anybody that said they should have bought less...

Comment

Go big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                    New career starting next week and a mild windfall financially arrived so we have roughly $3500 a month that comes in tax free. That's above my own pay checks that more than cover all of our monthly costs. So I started looking for land, why not? I'm looking at 15-60 acre tracts with water (stock tanks) on site. In the midst of this I get.....

Wife: "Why do you want that much land? I mean really..... 15 plus acres? 60 acres? Seriously? Are you buying cows or something?"

Me: "Um... I want to hunt the land. We can fish the tanks, feed out deer and turkey and a few hogs off the feeders and put those in the freezer."

Wife: "Can't you hunt on 10 acres out here?"

Me; "....yes but..."

Wife: "Guess you'll want to go buy more bows and guns too?"

Me: "......... maybe?"

Now I'm trying to find out how to explain that my family hasn't had acreage since my great grandfather sold his acres down in Cuero (spelling?) in the late 60's. 700 acres of bottom land out there went to someone and we still have no idea where the money went. When I die I want to leave something for my kids/grand kids/great grand kids to enjoy.

My wife is amazing and great with money so she looks long and hard at any large purchase. I've got 16 years till I retire at this. She's set up well also. I figure a small patch of Texas dirt that we can hunt and fish on is a wise investment.

Regardless of which way we go we'll make the decision together but I could use some advice.

Thoughts?
                    Richard.
                    You need a new wife. You don't want children around that nonsense. #NotJoking

Comment

Wife: "Why do you want so much land??"

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                      You need a new wife. You don't want children around that nonsense. #NotJoking

That is a stupid response. You don't know his wife from anyone else. Not everyone grew up with rural land or understands it. My wife grew up in New Orleans and does not come from a hunting family. She doesn't "get it" but I'm not trading her in because she doesn't want land or hunt. Give me a break. If I found a decent investment property I would buy it and show my wife how or why it was a good investment and then would buy it. Just cause she is being cautious is not a bad thing. Probably a good thing in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why buy land? Because they're not making anymore of it

Comment

Congrats on the big windfall you got. I would simply state it to her as you did on here in that you want to leave the kiddos with something once your gone.
                          Now if this windfall came about because of her she may have other thoughts on what to do with it and of that's the situation then be sure to have some situational awareness.[emoji3]

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

cite some of the "money mistakes" thread and show her most mistakes involved not buying land that is now worth more. Texas A&M did a study on land valuations in Texas: They always go up.

buy one, flip it and do it again but bigger (which is not easy)

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                              Not everyone grew up with rural land or understands it. My wife grew up in New Orleans and does not come from a hunting family. She doesn't "get it" but I'm not trading her in because she doesn't want land or hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Truth. When I first met my wife she didnt know why I couldnt just basically pull off on the shoulder of the road and "go hunting" and she was dead serious.

Comment

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Comment

Working...
                                X