Knife Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Opinions Needed

I recently worked on a small caping knife for a fellow TBH'er. It was lightweight and to me felt good in the hand. I have been contemplating a small EDC (Every Day Carry) knife for a while that could be worn easily on the hip, in a boot, or as a neck knife.

The caping knife was made out of damascus and I used some cocobolo for the scales. I envision the EDC knife being made several different ways using the same blade profile. I will make them out of damascus, D2, or CPM blade stock. For handles I'll do various woods, synthetics, or paracord.

Here is where I would like some input. What do you think would look best to taper the handle? Should it have a little bird's beak like on the top drawing or more rounded off like the bottom drawing? Both designs have 3 inch blades. The top drawing is 7 inches overall and the bottom knife is 6 1/2 inches overall.

I had some extra damascus so I went ahead and made one of the profiles (at this stage it hasn't been heat treated or etched so the patterns aren't showing.) This will give an idea where the front pin and rear tube would be. The 5 middle holes are there to help the epoxy make a better bond to the handle material.

Thanks in advance for opinions, suggestions, or snide remarks.
    Attached Files

nice looking knife

Comment

I like the bottom sketch better personally. I like the rounded end.

Comment

That's where I'm leaning, too. The beak hooks the little finger better but then again the other handle would kinda do the same thing if a lanyard was threaded through.

Comment

I'd meet in the middle and use the top pattern and just kinda round off the little point on the bottom side of the back end.

Please don't post any more pics of these EDC knives though, Keith. I just wrote a big check to the IRS, and I'm trying to recover.

Comment

Grumble grumble grumble. Don't get me started on the Tax Man. I had to write checks yesterday as well.

Comment

That's a good looking little blade. I think either way it will look/feel good. When are you going to start making these? I'm pretty sure I just found my next knife to purchase!

Comment

I like the top pattern better.

Comment

Ooops. It appears I didn't rotate my images like I meant to do. The middle and bottom images are supposed to run side to side and not up and down.

Comment

I prefer the beak

Comment

I think I like the top with the handle out to the finger slot for what it's worth - nice shape Keith!

Comment

Nice I like the top one best

Comment

The top one. Dang you knife makers on here are going to make me spend all of Momma's bingo money. Looking forward to see which way you go with it. PM me when you have one to sell

Comment

Based on the split feedback I'll probably have to make them both ways. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by kahowell1 View Post
                              Ooops. It appears I didn't rotate my images like I meant to do. The middle and bottom images are supposed to run side to side and not up and down.
                              Disregard this message. Evidently my phone didn't rotate the photos but yet they look fine on my computer screen.

Either way, one option has a small beak and the other is rounded off.

Comment

Working...
                              X