New to hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    Looks like you have the pattern 11-4. I don’t think the care about coyotes to much hogs are pretty aggressive. I think you should start feeding a different location maybe you can get closer to their bedding grounds.
    I will start diff location and put more cameras out

Comment

Bury some soured corn, like 2 feet dwn. If ur ate up with em itll keep em there longer an bring em bk. My pig/deer ratio is a solid 20 to 1. But i dont wanna run em off just cause i have a great target environment. I shot 2 boars last fri. Within 20 min. Of each other

Comment

10pm or 4 am. They seem to show up at these times at my east Texas place. They play the night since no ones likes them. Sometimes you can hear them coming for a mile. Sometimes they just pop up. Especially the loan big ones. I have seen them move across the field run 4/5 steps stop and listen and repeat. I get in the stand at dusk. Sit till 10 or 11. I usually get one a night or two a night. They scatter when I bust the first one. I jump down cut across a field and get in my second stand. They show up there and I get another.

Comment

I have cams at both my hog feeders, and when I pull the cards, I mark the times they are there on an Excel spreadsheet---after a week, it is easy to tell when to be in the stand.

Comment

During deer season I’ve found they are more sporatic, both daylight and night; they still come every night but very inconsistent times. My theory is that they get more pressure from everyone deer hunting. Another thing I’ve also noticed that my pigs become More consistent during daylight in the summer, my guess is that everyone else turns their feeders off so they flock to ours. Once summer hits they will be on camera morning and evening

I’ve never had them come to hand corn enough for me to want to hunt it, best luck is with feeders.

Comment

Killing hogs at feeders is harder that killing them when they are in a normal feed pattern.

I kill a lot of pigs but i do most of it by spot and stalk. Spot them, get the wind right and quietly sneak in. You can get away with a lot as long as they don't smell you.
              If you have them coming in to a feeder in a regular basis and they don't "Show up" when you hunt it's because they are winding you before you ever see them.

If you want to try and hunt them at feeders over the summer set up your feeders for hog hunting. Meaning put the feeder on the north side of the wood line you expect them to come in from and then put your stand north of the feeder. If you can have a big open pasture north of your stand that is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every place I've leased and hunted hogs I've had them very consistent at my feeders.

First you need to make sure they are getting a decent amount to eat each night, if you don't do that they will generally not be consistent. All my feeders throw from 10-12 seconds at dark and 10-12 seconds a hour after dark. Pigs are going to find and continue to hit a feeder first when they know they are going to get a decent meal at it. Pretty much all of my 19 feeders get hit within the first hour after dark.

Next you have to keep the pressure down. I don't hunt any feeders more then once every two weeks and some go a lot longer. I have 19 feeders so it's not hard for me to keep the pressure down.

Pigs will pattern better when it's not deer season. They tend to get thrown off their patterns during deer season with all the traffic in the woods and all the feeders running. A lot of people don't run feeders in the off season and this makes them more consistent at the feeders that are throwing especially ones that feed a lot at night.

As Tex mentioned, The best setup for hogs is to have a big open area behind you with the feeder in front of you right next to good cover as this will also help keep the wind from swirling. Pigs always feel safer coming to a feeder through the cover even at night and this will keep them upwind of you. The wind is critical and if it's not right your chances of killing a pig is slim to none. Also the big advantage of your stand basically being out in the open is that the wind will be consistent because it doesn't have any tree's or brush to make it swirl. If you set up in river bottoms or in heavy tree's or brush your going to get a lot of swirling winds and you wont have much luck due to swirling winds.

Comment

Hog Seasonality

I have a corn feeder that runs year-round. For some reason, the game cam shows a LOT more hog activity at the feeder in the summer time than winter (I have an Excel spreadsheet). In July, they come almost every night. In December, it's rare to see hogs at the feeder at all. I'm not scaring them off during deer season by hunting, because we don't hunt deer on this property. The neighbors do, though, so that might have an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    I have cams at both my hog feeders, and when I pull the cards, I mark the times they are there on an Excel spreadsheet---after a week, it is easy to tell when to be in the stand.
                    I do this too. It's a lot of work with 5+ cams but over a long period of time you can pull some really interesting data.

Comment

Gotta have the hex

A bunch of good info these guys are giving. I agree with em all except you gotta have a HEX SUIT on! Gets you right up in the action without them even knowing you are there!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                        Every place I've leased and hunted hogs I've had them very consistent at my feeders.

First you need to make sure they are getting a decent amount to eat each night, if you don't do that they will generally not be consistent. All my feeders throw from 10-12 seconds at dark and 10-12 seconds a hour after dark. Pigs are going to find and continue to hit a feeder first when they know they are going to get a decent meal at it. Pretty much all of my 19 feeders get hit within the first hour after dark.

Next you have to keep the pressure down. I don't hunt any feeders more then once every two weeks and some go a lot longer. I have 19 feeders so it's not hard for me to keep the pressure down.

Pigs will pattern better when it's not deer season. They tend to get thrown off their patterns during deer season with all the traffic in the woods and all the feeders running. A lot of people don't run feeders in the off season and this makes them more consistent at the feeders that are throwing especially ones that feed a lot at night.

As Tex mentioned, The best setup for hogs is to have a big open area behind you with the feeder in front of you right next to good cover as this will also help keep the wind from swirling. Pigs always feel safer coming to a feeder through the cover even at night and this will keep them upwind of you. The wind is critical and if it's not right your chances of killing a pig is slim to none. Also the big advantage of your stand basically being out in the open is that the wind will be consistent because it doesn't have any tree's or brush to make it swirl. If you set up in river bottoms or in heavy tree's or brush your going to get a lot of swirling winds and you wont have much luck due to swirling winds.

This guy had forgotten more about killing hogs over a feeder than most people will ever know. Listen to his advice. Also contact him and get a Sniper Hog Light if you don't have one already. I've tried a lot of lights and they are the best on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

There are two kids that deer hunt out there and they seriously don’t have a clue, they walk all over the place in street clothes hauling corn out. There stand is a good 200 yards away from mine but for some reason they think they need to walk by my stand every time. I know that is a big problem right there . And i don’t have a feeder yet so that’s why I’m just doing the hand corn thing, i thought the hog tube was goin to be the trick but i just checked my cameras today and i havnt has a hog on it since dec19........ I’m goin to get a feeder and put it out the day after deer season with a motion light on it. Isn’t it better to get a taller feeder rather then a short legged one? Is the only Benoit for a short leg feeder just easier to fill?

Comment

Get them on a timed feeder and put out a camera with the time and date set right and see if you can get a pattern on them.

Comment

What feeders should i stay away from?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayt22 View Post
                                What feeders should i stay away from?
                                Anything 6 volt
                                Anything with WGI written on it

Comment

Working...
                                X