#*%! Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#*%! Acorns

Does anyone really know what, if anything, gets the deer to quit eating acorns? Does a freeze or moisture sour them? I've heard lots of people say one or both of those rots them. But if that were the case and they all rotted and died every winter there would never be acorns in the spring to grow more trees. I keep waiting for the deer to come back to the feeders as the corn piles up. I'm hoping if we get some weather event it will do it. But I suspect we will just have to wait until the deer pick them all up.

Unfortunately this dry weather is helping the acorns crop. I have 5 acres of radishes and turnips growing and the deer are tearing it up, if I do not get rain within the next week it will be over for my plots. They still eat the corn at the feeders and have noticed bucks hitting the protein.

Comment

I've heard you can actually hunt near acorns. And if you have thousands of them and no deer at feeder your odds are still better picking random tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        I've heard you can actually hunt near acorns. And if you have thousands of them and no deer at feeder your odds are still better picking random tree.
        LMAO!!

OP here is some good reading on acorns and "the souring" or lack of......

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
          Does anyone really know what, if anything, gets the deer to quit eating acorns? Does a freeze or moisture sour them? I've heard lots of people say one or both of those rots them. But if that were the case and they all rotted and died every winter there would never be acorns in the spring to grow more trees. I keep waiting for the deer to come back to the feeders as the corn piles up. I'm hoping if we get some weather event it will do it. But I suspect we will just have to wait until the deer pick them all up.
          Why would you want deer to quit eating acorns? Hunt the acorns and get your deer.

Never understood the "souring" of acorns. Acorns last awhile after hitting the ground. Another thing you can do is pick a tree to your advantage and fertilize it...that's what I do. We have lots of White and Red Oaks on our lease so I gotta do something to pull them to where Im at
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-02-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

My philosophy is if the deer want acorns, give them acorns. We rake them up from all the nice fertilized yards in town and store them in burlap bags. Then put a bucket of corn and a bucket of acorns in our feed pens (we don’t use feeders). The deer seem to prefer these to the native acorns were we hunt. We routinely have mature deer in our feed pens.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Why would you want deer to quit eating acorns? Hunt the acorns and get your deer.

He's not in East Texas where they have one oak tree and 300 pines

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Haha

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
                  My philosophy is if the deer want acorns, give them acorns. We rake them up from all the nice fertilized yards in town and store them in burlap bags. Then put a bucket of corn and a bucket of acorns in our feed pens (we don’t use feeders). The deer seem to prefer these to the native acorns were we hunt. We routinely have mature deer in our feed pens.
                  Our you can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Yep. New lease is 1100ish acres. Nothing but live oaks. Never seen an acorn crop last this long. It's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Our lease is a little different than most SETx leases, as of right now we have lots of oaks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Our lease is a little different than most SETx leases, as of right now we have lots of oaks.

Well in the Hill Country and some of West Texas we have thousands of oaks. Picking one magical tree in a 40 yard circle to set a tree stand when 20-30K trees are producing on 2400 acres is futile looking for that one deer.

Comment

Low IQ- I didn't say I hadn't considered that. The lease contract stipulates that hunters must only hunt from the established blinds. I'm sure you're pleased with your clever joke. Now go Google the definition of "stipulate"

Comment

I have close to 25 acres of Post Oaks. I put a feeder, a rifle blind and a bow stand in the center of the 25 acres. It is the busiest feeder I have.

There are plenty of acorns hanging yet, a good rain or storm will knock them down. I would rather they all fall out at once as this will make real good hunting for a week or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X