Pole stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pole stands

Saw thread on them. Would emt work? I work at electrical supply house and have several pieces that cant be sold. Just curious.

I don't know what a pole stand is, but I have 2 tripods sitting on EMT legs after the cows did a number on them. Also have a 55 gallon feeder sitting on EMT.

Hope it helps. Post up a pic or description of what a pole stand is, I'm intrigued.

Comment

What size emt are you thinking about using?

Comment

We have some 3in. A pole stand is,just one pole with seat on top, tied to a tree. Another pole made into a ladder. Dont have to have a straight tree.

Comment

Good for south texas

Comment

Originally posted by gig one View Post
            Good for south texas
            Yep! Back in the day, they were referred to as pencil stands. Pretty much a length of pipe with rungs welded on, stuck in the ground, and guy-wired for stability . Some were scary tall! I don't know of any made of EMT, though.

Comment

I would think it would work fine as long as you went 2" or larger. Might be able to get away with 1.5"

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ Pops View Post
                Yep! Back in the day, they were referred to as pencil stands. Pretty much a length of pipe with rungs welded on, stuck in the ground, and guy-wired for stability . Some were scary tall! I don't know of any made of EMT, though.
                My father-in-law said he had one that nobody else would hunt in.

Comment

let's see some pics when u get it built

I like to that.. kindof like a ladder tripod hybrid....?

Comment

as long as it will hold you up. you could even use smaller emt if it was welded together in a bundle.

Comment

You might use RMT instead, much stronger.(Rigid Metallic Tubing)

Comment

I got one made of metal conduit about fifty years old my dads made it when he was young

Comment

I've hunted out of one that I made using 2 1/2" galvanized fence post material. It was 16' tall and I had it run up thru a mesquite tree and tied off to the tree about 2/3 of the way up. It was a little wobbly at the top but after a few minutes of sitting still it wasn't bad. I used a boat seat with pedestal so that I could spin 360 degrees and take the seat off after the season. Sorry I don't have any pics as it ended up getting left on the top of a mountain in Oklahoma after the thieves went thru and took what they wanted and trashed what they didn't. Good luck w the build and IMO I would go with the 3" or bigger if possible.

Comment

Here ya go fellas. These things are pretty slick.

Comment

Ive thought about using 1 1/2in square tubing and putting steps on it so its one piece. Make the foot rest in two sections so i can take part of it off to climb up to seat. Thoughts?

Also, for seat, should i put a chair up there or just make a seat like a ladder stand?

Comment

Working...
                              X