100 yard shot on axis buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 yard shot on axis buck?

I have a youth hunter that I have to use AR platform guns with because he needs a short LOP. He’s 8.

My choices are an 8.5” 300 blackout shooting Barnes tac-tx 120 grain or a 16” .223 shooting 64 grain power points. Both shooting suppressed if that matters.

We will be hunting a mature axis cull buck. What would be your choice? I’ve never hunted axis.

223 through the shoulder. One and done.

Comment

I'd rather have the .30 cal bullet and a closer shot than 100 yards for the 8 year old

Comment

223 Gets the job done all day long! Ideal for an 8 year old also!

Comment

I'd probably favor the .223 - I shot a good-sized axis buck in October with a 14.7in AR, 62gr Fusion, high shoulder shot that performed well at 150 yds. My back up ammo was 64gr Power Points. Was confident in either round.

Stu

Comment

Good bullet + right shot placement = dead deer

I think either would be fine but the question I would have is this....how comfortable is he at shooting at 100 yards?

Comment

Looking at the barnes site, the 223 62gn and barnes 300 120gn seem to have about the same energy the 300 110gn seems to carry just a hair more (at 100 yds). I don't see what length of barrel was used, but most of what I see on these charts is 24". So the velocities and energy will take a hit.
              I really like the MSR platform since it is so adjustable to be able to fit about anyone. Low recoil and such. I believe that weight would be something to look at and the handiness of the rifle. Read that as short and light being the ticket.
              I would suggest which ever one he is most comfortable holding and get closer.

Comment

I’ve killed piles of axis w/ a 223 but it definitely wouldn’t be my first choice for a kid to use. The 300 will be suppressed so it really shouldn’t have much felt recoil and should have about the same results as a 30-30 at 100yds.

Comment

I vote 300 BO. Killed many deer with mine.

Comment

Not a huge difference between the 2, but I vote for the 300AAC

I'm glad you didn't bring up subsonic..... lol

Comment

Stack the odds in the kids favor... more bullet, more better. He/she won't remember the difference in recoil.

Comment

similar energy between the 2 I would go with flatter shooting 223

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. My boy is shooting 1.5 in - 2 inch groups at 100 yards with the guns and has killed whitetail does with both. This is with a good rest. So we have to be in a shooting house/blind and expect a 100 yard+/- shot.

Comment

Either one really. I’d lean toward 223 and good shot placement

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
                              Stack the odds in the kids favor... more bullet, more better. He/she won't remember the difference in recoil.
                              I agree with this

Comment

Working...
                              X