No announcement yet.

Upgrading my truck gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of suppressing, would a linear comp quieten it down enough for you? I know it doesn't really quieten, just redirects, but that does make a big difference for the shooter. It also wouldn't make the rifle unwieldy like suppressors tend to. I think you will be happy with you gun, and tend to agree that a 300 bo is not remotely in the same ballpark as a 308.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
      My theory is that if someone is wearing body armor, the 165 grain nosler partition should pass through unless he is wearing 100 pounds of plates.
      I already ordered the M1A because I know the 50 grain v max bullets will not pass through even the cheapest armor
      Never tried it with Partitions, but I know that a solid 5-7rnd burst from a 240 will be stopped by standard plates. We had a connex full of old plates that were questionable and out of date that we used to show our local nationals they were still able to stop rounds.

If your worried about stopping a threat that's wearing body armor, then aim for where the armor isn't...i.e. head shots and the pelvic girdle.

My recommendation would be for a cheap AK, or pistol length AR10 with an integral suppressor.

Comment

That particular M1A is a bucket list gun for me. But, I could never use it as my truck gun, especially suppressed. I would build a 6.8spc pistol with a 12.5 inch barrel. Some of the new "pistol" braces are even length adjustable. Run a linear comp or flaming pig to redirect the muzzle blast, and your desired optic. Would hit harder than the 5.56 and be effective at any "truck gun" ranges. Plus no NFA paperwork or red tape if it happens to get stolen. I could never leave one of my cans in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          Good point but I have my doubts about the .300 aac penetrating body armor.
          I have 2 .300s a full size and a 10" and while they are better than a .223. I don't think they really compair to a full house .308
          I wouldn't count on a .300 penetrating any type of armor. If armor defeat is priority, velocity is what you'll need and the .223/5.56 is where it's at for this application.

If pure energy is what you prefer, then obviously the .308 will deliver more than anything in an AR15. But as many others have said, the AR is going to be lighter, smaller, more maneuvarble, less recoil (faster follow up), needs a smaller suppressor (keeping size and weight down) and will be more than adequate for this application in any of the available centerfire cartridges for the AR-15.

Personally, I would keep running what you have and run a quality, barrier blind round. This is more than sufficient. If you just don't want to run a 5.56, or an AR for that matter, then there are a few other options but I agree, the M1A is not the best one, IMO.

But get what you want and you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, that's what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by S&T View Post
            Agreed. While we may never know exactly what round was being used, a quality bullet MIGHT have made all the difference in the world if he had been shooting FMJ and there is a good probability he was. At the end of the day he got the job done and stopped a bad guy, so that's good.

Also, it is my understanding that the perpetrator was wearing some type of body armor. Pelvic/groin shots are highly effective in this type of situation and should be taught & practiced more than I have seen. Between breaking the pelvis and severing the femoral artery, this shot can eliminate a threat very, very quickly. COM should be your primary aiming point, but if armor is present or COM shot does not present itself, this is a great plan B.

As for the OP's question, what is your primary defensive load in your current AR truck gun? A quality bullet should be more than sufficient in the .223/5.56 for your application.

Exactly! Most rounds being purchased by AR enthusiasts are bought in bulk, and are not of high quality. . Keep the 223, upgrade ammo to a 55 gr barnes vortex triple shock. Speed kills!

Comment

This is how police do it mine never left my patrol car when I was off duty. Nobody ever tried to take if these all have locks and work great. My patrol truck was on the roof and my car was mounted between the front seats

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                Never tried it with Partitions, but I know that a solid 5-7rnd burst from a 240 will be stopped by standard plates. We had a connex full of old plates that were questionable and out of date that we used to show our local nationals they were still able to stop rounds.

If your worried about stopping a threat that's wearing body armor, then aim for where the armor isn't...i.e. head shots and the pelvic girdle.

My recommendation would be for a cheap AK, or pistol length AR10 with an integral suppressor.
                Buff, listen to this man.

Comment

A little off topic, which class 3 dealer you using?

Comment

Under the seat deal is cool and all but would take to long in a fast, combat scenario... need something that can be in the hand and firing within 5-10 seconds IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                      I've been considered a "truck gun" for some time now and I always come back to the problem of securing/hiding it somewhere in the truck. If I was to run my AR pistol 300BLK as my truck gun, how would I go about locking something that size up and keeping it out of sight?
                      I put mine between the rear seat cushion and back with the seat folded up, F150SC. out of sight and stays put.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                        Under the seat deal is cool and all but would take to long in a fast, combat scenario... need something that can be in the hand and firing within 5-10 seconds IMO.

I agree. I carry a pistol on me pretty much all the time now days, but it has limited ammo, don't have a spare mag for it yet, and if it was a true SHTF scenario, the pistol would be used to defend and retreat to truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

All those mounts and storage trays are cool for a cop vehicle but they are going to invite broken windows and theft attempts on a regular basis, if you take it to an urban environment. Then, there are all the false alarms you’re going to get from non gun folks and anti gun people that will freak out and call the police because they see a weapon in a vehicle at a shopping center or wherever. Then, you’ll have to deal with explaining it, blah blah.......just seems like a recipe for all sorts of inconvenience that I wouldn’t want to deal with.

Comment

rear seat latch

if you're running an F150, this fixes the behind the seat problem

Comment

As far as storage, does anyone use a Du-Ha under seat rack? I saw Cabela's sells one that fits my Silverado double cab. I imagine I'd have to leave the magazine out.

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I have one of these and it works well. I used to use it for my rifle. Bow I have a car seat back there through and my seat won't raise up without taking it off first so it's just full of tools, straps etc. The box does work well though. It will make rub marks but on an AR etc who cares

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                                As far as storage, does anyone use a Du-Ha under seat rack? I saw Cabela's sells one that fits my Silverado double cab. I imagine I'd have to leave the magazine out.

Comment

Working...
                                X