Tips for New Kayak'er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for New Kayak'er

I have been throwing around the idea of getting a fishing kayak for a few years but just never broke down and did anything about it. Well, I found a good deal on a Emotion Mojo Angler kayak. Now the fun part, I mainly just want to see if I'm really going to like it. I plan on going to Lake Conroe, Lake Woodlands and maybe Lake Raven in Huntsville (But the alligators worry me). I have all my fishing equipment but what else am I going to need. I know I'm going to need an oar at least. Any suggestion on that or any other equipment that I might need, please let me hear. Also if anyone in the area don't mind a newbie tagging along, please let me know. I also will have to store it outside, any suggestions on that

Anchor and anchor trolley system ... Secure everything with leashes or tie downs . Everything you want to keep needs to be somehow tied to the boat. If you tip everything not connected to your boat will be gone. Space is very limited which can be frustrating sometimes. Allot of people use milk crates and store all there gear in it.. It's defiantly allot of fun.. There is some kayak clubs on Facebook that do outings together. Those are a really good chance to learn allot..

Comment

Don't fall out.

Comment

x2 on anchor trolley. I reccomend getting a bleacher chair instead of the one that came with your kayak. It keeps your butt out of water which is nice. Get a milk crate and attach some rod holders to it. I made rod leashes out of old car cell phone chargers and those red and black cable holder things. Can't remember what they're called for the life of me

Comment

Cupholder that can fit a can cozy. Stupid beers slip all over if the holder is too small or too big.

Comment

One thing I did was to put a float and a quick release clip on my anchor rope. When I hook up to a good red or trout I'll release from anchor. This will prevent my anchor rope to get in the way while fighting the fish. Once landing the fish (put fish on stringer before pulling hook). simply paddle back to your float and retrieve your anchor.
            Last edited by nicerack; 09-23-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Greatest tip is to not tip.

Comment

Here's a tip for Conroe. Paddle north in the morning and fish your way back. Nothing sucks worse than paddling into a 25mph headwind.

For Conroe there are some great spots easily reached by kayak from Scotts Ridge and from Cagle.

Comment

Tip- google maps is your friend! Find creeks and rivers to explore that is where I feel a kayak shines.

Comment

Trolley system anchor and stake out stick are must haves for me stake out stick and trolley can me make yourself until your good lease all your gear

Comment

Originally posted by nicerack View Post
                      One thing I did was to put a float and a quick release clip on my anchor rope. When I hook up to a good red or trout I'll release from anchor. This will prevent my anchor rope to get in the way while fighting the fish. Once landing the fish (put fish on stringer before pulling hook). simply paddle back to your float and retrieve your anchor.

Awesome tip!!

Comment

Have to have a PFD, I would recommend one you can comfortably fish in, really makes a difference.

Comment

You won't need an oar but you will need a good paddle..

Comment

My buddy got a warning from a game warden for not having a life jacket in the kayak with him. just something to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXoutdoorsman View Post
                              Have to have a PFD, I would recommend one you can comfortably fish in, really makes a difference.
                              Number one thing here.

Comment

Working...
                              X