Quality Assurance Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Assurance Pros

Anyone here work in QA? I work in metal finishing and will be the QAM in the very near future. I have been working under the current QAM for going on 2 years. Neither of us have any kind of certifications, to be honest it really isn't a necessity to have any certs because our program is small and we work in a very niche industry. But, I tend to like to be the best at things, I don't ever want to go into a situation less informed than someone else. With that being said, are there any certifications or classes that have helped you along the way? Any help and advice will be great, thanks.

No QA guys??

Comment

I did 12+ years in QA/QC across 2 industries - food & beverage and medical device. Worked as a Quality Engineer during my time in medical device industry. ASQ certifications are recognized & often you will see desire for these prior to being hired or obtained thereafter. I know of CQA & CQE ( certified quality auditor or engineer). Also, most quality positions dabble a lot toward process improvement. Along those lines is CSSGB - certified six sigma green belt. You can keep going higher such as black belt & even master black belt.

Comment

Quality Assurance Pros

ASQ offers a variety of certifications from auditing fundamentals to Quality System Development. Really certifications are functions or requirements set forth by the QMS. An example would be if you work in a ISO facility a solid recommendation would be to seek training on the current ISO standard as well as auditing fundamentals. Is it mandated, no. Is it a best practice, yes.

I have accrued a few over the years from AWS CWI, Six Sigma Greenbelt to ASQ Lead Auditor certifications. If you are seeking a career in QA then you should go after training that you feel will benefit the organization as well as your professional growth. Get your employer to pay for it, most of the time they will. Let's face it, for most Sr. management Quality is an afterthought. Most don't care about it or want any real ownership of it. It's simply in their best interest to pay for training that provides you the best set of skills and tools to manage the Quality aspects of the Organization. Take advantage of this, let them build your skill set and resume.

Without knowing more about your specific business needs its hard to say. You can always shoot me a PM with any questions. You are also welcome to visit our facility and I can walk you through some things if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          ASQ offers a variety of certifications from auditing fundamentals to Quality System Development. Really certifications are functions or requirements set forth by the QMS. An example would be if you work in a ISO facility a solid recommendation would be to seek training on the current ISO standard as well as auditing fundamentals. Is it mandated, no. Is it a best practice, yes.

I have accrued a few over the years from AWS CWI, Six Sigma Greenbelt to ASQ Lead Auditor certifications. If you are seeking a career in QA then you should go after training that you feel will benefit the organization as well as your professional growth. Get your employer to pay for it, most of the time they will. Let's face it, for most Sr. management Quality is an afterthought. Most don't care about it or want any real ownership of it. It's simply in their best interest to pay for training that provides you the best set of skills and tools to manage the Quality aspects of the Organization. Take advantage of this, let them build your skill set and resume.

Without knowing more about your specific business needs its hard to say. You can always shoot me a PM with any questions. You are also welcome to visit our facility and I can walk you through some things if you like.

Our corporate folks just came in Wed. / Thurs. for a audit at Peterbilt. Never really put myself in QA but I do find myself there with the position I have w Cummins at Pete. As well dealing w all the CQA teams at different Cummins engine plants. Might have to look into some training.

Comment

Quality Assurance Pros

Originally posted by Dieselman View Post
            Our corporate folks just came in Wed. / Thurs. for a audit at Peterbilt. Never really put myself in QA but I do find myself there with the position I have w Cummins at Pete. As well dealing w all the CQA teams at different Cummins engine plants. Might have to look into some training.

Yeah, audits are a ton of fun. Getting some training in that area will not only allow you to conduct Internal audits but also provide you with better tools to manage External audits if/when necessary. I work in a manufacturing environment in the Oil/Gas industry and have ISO 9001,17025, PED 97/23/EC, ATEX and Baseffa externals which all require annual internals as part of our approved QMS. Not to mention client audits so it's pretty hectic sometimes. Having skills to deal with audit situations and training that allows you to see through BS handed out by External auditors that are poorly trained will save the Company time, money and most importantly increase your value as an asset.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info! We have looked into becoming ISO certified, but have decided to stick with our NQA-1 cert only (for now). Only because the majority of our quality program deals with nuclear and military work. I looked at the ASQ sote but didn't know if that was the standard for all of QA. I will dig into all of these certs on Monday and may take you up on that visit some time muddy. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X