Job Hunt Dilemma Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you ever told your current employer that youh ave applied with another company? Reason I am asking is I work for a subsidiary company of a major oil company. We have the same name as the parent oil company, use the same logo and wear the same color shirts/uniforms and have the same medical insurance, but that is as far as it goes. They are union we are not. They have more vacation and other benefits and of course make quite a but more money. You could say with the subsidiary I work for I am in an lower to mid level management position. My boss works for the same subsidiary but his two above him work for the oil company itself. I guess one of their duties is to oversee the subsidiary company.

Anyways, the oil company from time to time hires new operators at the refinery I work at and are about to do so again. The two personnel that work for the oil company and oversee the subsidiary always want to know if any of our employees put in for them. They say they need to know for longer term staffing issues in case one or more end up getting hired. I put in for an operators job there a couple years ago and let everyone know I applied but ended up not getting it. I have no proof but I always felt the two that run the subsidiary company had something to do with me not getting even and interview. The refinery has had several more hirings since then and I did not try, but their about to again and I want to apply again this time. Question I have is should I tell them I applied or keep quiet and wait an see if I get an interview or possible hiring?

Before I hired in with the subsidiary company there were a few that worked their and got hired into the refinery without saying anything. I heard it made them pretty mad and that's why since then they want to know ahead of time who has applied for jobs with the actual oil company in the refinery.

Hope yall could follow all that!! Any advice???

I would tell them. If you get past the interview process, they will call and check with the COMPANY folks there. So they will find out either way. My thoughts are its better they are not surprised and you have done as they asked.

I am a manager at an oil company and would DEFINATEY reach out to other employees before hiring a guy working with them.

Good luck with the process.

Comment

Personally, No, I wouldn't.

Not until I had an interview or they found out on their own when your name came up. Especially since you suspect they had something to do with it the time before. Would be a different story if they were willing to help get you to the top of the resume pile.

Comment

Anyone else??? There's bound to be more opinions on this.

Comment

You can be honest if you want but there's a big percentage in management that would let you go if they know you are applying elsewhere. Nothing personal of course just business.

I would but if you get hired give a two weeks and offer to help out as you can before you move on

Good luck sir

Comment

Honesty is the best policy.

They will find out eventually anyway. A supervisor worth their salt will want only the best for their direct, or indirect, reports.

The hiring manager will also take into account how you treated prior management because you may do the same to them.
            Last edited by Outlaw_6; 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Are you in fear of losing your current job if you do NOT tell them about applying for the new position? If you are worried about losing your current job, then tell them.

Personally, if you feel that they purposely held you back before when you applied, I would NOT tell them anything. Play the "oh sorry, i forgot to tell you guys" routine if they ask you about it.

Comment

I would ask HR what they wanted me to do. I worked for a company set much the same way. Other managers would block transfers or job changes if they found out. I would depend on how good a boss you have and HR.

Comment

Normally the company you are interviewing with will ask if it is ok to call your current employer. tell them no. If you get the job give them 2 weeks notice

Comment

Do you tell your current car when you are shopping for a new one?

I would not say anything until I had an interview and determined if it was something I wanted to pursue. What if you decide you don't want to play in that sandbox? BUT, I would also tell the person conducting the interview, if I was interested in the position, that I would need to let my manager know I at least looked at the opportunity and applied.

Comment

Working...
                    X