Osage sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osage sources

Wanting to try another selfbow build and see if i can turn one out in the 40 to 45 lb range. First one i did came out way too heavy, second one was a challenge with knots and got a hinge.

What good options might i not be aware of for getting hands on a decent stave? My first one came from Mike Yancey, and if need be, I'll bite the bullet and call him again. The second was an ebay special just for the fun of it. No access to harvest one myself. What other sources are good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Maybe you can get one from Arvin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Jerry Stover, Yukon, OK. Jerry's Yellow Lumber. 405-919-3755. I've probably purchased 50-60 staves from Jerry.

Comment

Originally posted by n8vtxn1 View Post
        Jerry Stover, Yukon, OK. Jerry's Yellow Lumber. 405-919-3755. I've probably purchased 50-60 staves from Jerry.
        Awesome, must be good staves if you keep going back. Prices comparable to others? A lot of what i see in searches lately are around 150, hence why I'm asking about other sources.

Comment

You will pay for a good stave

Comment

Osage sources

I heard you can get some good ones at that Oklahoma venue they have every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
              I heard you can get some good ones at that Oklahoma venue they have every year

Pick some up for me when you go bud

Let me know what other shoots you plan on going to, I'll try to join ya if they're close enough

Comment

Yes Jerry can fix you up. 90-120 for premium stave plus shipping. Character staves $60-85. These where the prices I paid at OJAM from him. Arvin

Comment

Oh yeah, jerry it is. His prices nock it out of park, pun intended. Just what i was hoping for.

Thanks guys

Comment

Ttt
                    Is Jerry Stover still a good person to get staves from? Any other place I should look into? Looking for a Osage stave. Maybe hickory if Osage are to expensive seeing as it’s going to be my first try on making a self bow.

Comment

Man I have logs of Osage and Honey locust for 10-20 bucks.

Comment

I’ve got what I think is a decent one you can have. Can probably get two bows out of it. I’m in Kingwood.

Comment

Does anyone know if Jerry is still around? I’m actually living in Yukon now, and would like to catch up with him. I saw an obituary for a Jerry Lynn Stover for February of 2018.

Thanks,
                          Skooter

Comment

Seems like he was at ojam that March. Arvin

Comment

Thanks Arvin. I’ll give him a ring.

Skooter

Comment

Working...
                              X