Square Tubing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer View Post
    The fun part will be drilling the holes for the hitch pin into it. Unless you have a good press and a big azz bit!
    I know an old timer who has a machine shop near by...will prob take it by and have him do for a couple of bucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      14ga WILL fold, 3/16" Is perfect, 1/4" is un-necessary weight.

I was hoping someone would say that!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        The fun part will be drilling the holes for the hitch pin into it. Unless you have a good press and a big azz bit!
        Drill press and a step bit. Easy peezy.

Comment

1/4" thick. Better to go a little stronger then needed.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            1/4" thick. Better to go a little stronger then needed.

I agree. With the cargo weight somewhat cantilevered and the bouncing that could happen heavier is better.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              I agree. With the cargo weight somewhat cantilevered and the bouncing that could happen heavier is better.
              x3

3/16 is roughly 4.5lbs per foot and 1/4" is about a pound more per foot (just under). Negligible difference in weight but significantly stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                14ga WILL fold, 3/16" Is perfect, 1/4" is un-necessary weight.
                I'm no formal engineer. But I'm inclined to agree with Dale on this for the most part. At minimum, make the receiver part 3/16" and run it to the very back of the basket. I know 1/4" won't fail on that part. And any thing sectioned on the base will be strengthened by the shorter runs between corners and center braces. That will increase the base capacity weight.

Good reason to have ten extra 50lb bags of corn laying around to me. For testing reasons of course, along with a 6-pack of cold beverages. Load it up, and jump up and down on it.

Don't forget: do not exceed your hitch gross weight or classification.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  I'm no formal engineer. But I'm inclined to agree with Dale on this for the most part. At minimum, make the receiver part 3/16" and run it to the very back of the basket. I know 1/4" won't fail on that part. And any thing sectioned on the base will be strengthened by the shorter runs between corners and center braces. That will increase the base capacity weight.

Good reason to have ten extra 50lb bags of corn laying around to me. For testing reasons of course, along with a 6-pack of cold beverages. Load it up, and jump up and down on it.

Don't forget: do not exceed your hitch gross weight or classification.
                  I like your torture test

Comment

You would probably be fine with 1/8 wall. I have used 1/8" wall for all kinds of stuff like that with no problems. If you are worried about it, you can go 3/16, but 1/4" would definitely be overkill.

Comment

Will you be using this with a UTV? If so I suspect 500# static will exceed the capacity of the receiver tube. Keep in mind that the guys that weld UTV frames are probably not nuclear qualified. Also, should you decide to go with lighter gage tubing check to make sure it will fit the receiver tube. I have seen the squared off corners of the lighter gage tubing not fit a standard receiver tube.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                        Will you be using this with a UTV? If so I suspect 500# static will exceed the capacity of the receiver tube. Keep in mind that the guys that weld UTV frames are probably not nuclear qualified. Also, should you decide to go with lighter gage tubing check to make sure it will fit the receiver tube. I have seen the squared off corners of the lighter gage tubing not fit a standard receiver tube.
                        This is actually for my truck to pull coolers out of the bed and allow for more bed space....I have a bed cover this allows coolers to be in weather etc and all other gear rifles etc to be covered....Ill also use to haul bags of corn down to the lease

Comment

As mentioned be sure your tubing will fit in your receiver. If it has square corners, it probably won't fit. Also, be sure your license plate can be seen from behind. Legally I believe it has to be unobstructed with a light. I've heard of people getting tickets for that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            As mentioned be sure your tubing will fit in your receiver. If it has square corners, it probably won't fit. Also, be sure your license plate can be seen from behind. Legally I believe it has to be unobstructed with a light. I've heard of people getting tickets for that before.

Oh Man

Comment

I got a ticket for a plastic deer head that slipped over the ball on my bumper because it covered a tiny bit of the plate. judge dismissed the ticket, but I still paid some court costs.

Comment

Originally posted by jctex81 View Post
                                Oh Man
                                And if I remember correctly, (and I'm no lawyer) if it sticks out two feet beyond your rear bumper (maybe 3 feet?), you will need taillights on it, or reflective tape, or red flag for day use. That is really a simple fix if that is yours in the OPost. Just plug lights right into your trailer socket. Doesn't hurt to have reflective tape either. If you plan to have it in for several days or a couple weeks, it shouldn't be a problem to relocate your plates either so they can be seen easily. You never know when someone is having a bad day.

When I built mine, it wasn't 2 weeks before a lady bumped into the back of it at a stop light. I didn't have a load on it. And it didn't do any damage to mine. But she just wasn't paying close attention. She was watching my vehicle body and not what was below my tailgate, while talking to a passenger .
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-24-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X