It’s just a deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Thank you wits-end! I held this illustrious position for Smart until now and fortunately I won't have to stand on the podium in a few days to accept that award.[emoji1787]
    I have to agree with him. Your point of view on this is so wrong.

Gary

Please explain the point of view you talk about.

I value friendships and the experience of just being outdoors more than one deer.

My comments on rules: Why does society have non stop lawyered up court cases, debating unclear rules. My comment on rules was a broad brush viewpoint. Maybe not clearly portrayed in that manner and taken way to literally by some, so be it.

When I shot my first deer, a 5pt, it was beyond a nice deer. I treasure the memory and experience to this day. A nice deer is relative, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      You referred to the other thread and you also mentioned honest mistake. There was no honest mistake in the other thread.
      Was it not an honest mistake that the friend didn't tell the guest to not shoot deer? Did he honestly think the guy was going to shoot the deer and ignored that? I've observed mistakes in the past by some of the most standup guys out there, the situation just snowballed, stuff happens. Would I kill a long term friendship over that, no way.

Maybe there is something new, but not in what I read in that thread.

Comment

Last edited by Encinal; 12-18-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
          Was it not an honest mistake that the friend didn't tell the guest to not shoot deer? Did he honestly think the guy was going to shoot the deer and ignored that? I've observed mistakes in the past by some of the most standup guys out there, the situation just snowballed, stuff happens. Would I kill a long term friendship over that, no way.

Maybe there is something new, but not in what I read in that thread.

He put a guy in his blind and never told him he couldn't shoot a deer! He said "I didn't think he would see one." That's not an honest mistake, that's just plain stupid. If I bring a guest to my lease. I make dang sure he knows exactly what he can and can't shoot because I'm responsible for my guest.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            He put a guy in his blind and never told him he couldn't shoot a deer! He said "I didn't think he would see one." That's not an honest mistake, that's just plain stupid.

Stupidity and an honest mistake are often very related.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with rules.
              Anarchy has one end, ruin.
              Take away rules on lease and a decent hunting place gets shot out by one guy bringing too many guests and letting them shoot too many animals not off of his allowance. Another fills his tags every year. And his wife's tags too. Another shoots button bucks as antlerless deer.
              It goes south quick. Are rules sometimes uncomfortable? Yes.
              Are they sometimes difficult to enforce? Yes.
              Without them leases are just places for those with no regard for the others to take advantage of the place.
              The same at work. You made the statement about those with no leadership skills being in charge. I'm sure all of us have seen that at work sometime or other. Sometimes that's because they have other qualifications that got them the position or they just do better in interviews than the other person. But they are still the boss. The rules are the rules.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                There are rules on most leases, just like in life. You agree to follow them when you set foot on the place. It's not that hard to follow them and cover your bases. It is not that hard to be rule abiding. We do it everyday of our lives in some sort of fashion. If you or your guest break them, yall are to blame....the enforcer of the rules is not to blame and didn't do anything wrong. He is there to help things run smoothly so that the group as a whole can enjoy the place. We allow a little leeway, but chronic issues get removed. If kicking said rule beaker off is in the best interest of the place to make the folks who follow the rules or the landowner happy, I have no problem with it. But being upset with the enforcer is like blaming a cop for you speeding or punching a guy in the face when you get arrested. We are not liberals here. The rule breaker is the problem....even if just a deer.
                SPOT ON
                Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Congratulations on the dumbest post of the year for 2018.. Way to take it down so close to the end and snipe it out from underneath the previous leader. Well done...
                Again, SPOT ON
                Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                * you're
                hehehe
                Originally posted by glen View Post
                Some deer do have better racks than others
                WE appreciate the effort but that is a bad Photoshop job. That girl is truly a gorgeous specimen worthy of mounting without the photo help.

Originally posted by glen View Post
                And with all the rules you can’t just look at the rack anymore and decide if it makes you happy. Sometimes you gotta make a management decision without knowing what he rack looks like
                And this is why I've always been a management hunter!!!!!!!

Comment

And BOTH carry consequences my friend

Comment

Not in this case!

I'm not sure why you can't see that, but I can only explain it to you. I can't make you understand it. Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      Deer hunting is a lot like golf. Some guys are dead serious and others just want a reason to drink beer and get away from the wife. Making sure you're with a like minded group will help to avoid most problems.
                      Good advice

Comment

Thank Goodness I "read" this thread and thank you Glen!

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                          For the past few years I have sat back and read thread after thread that really disturbed me. I have managed to not respond to most of these but one I read tonight finally put me over the edge. I have read time and time again how friends have been lost, and families broken up, and thousand of dollars spent over a deer. This is just my opinion so if you don’t think You want to hear it then skip and move on.

Folks.......it’s just a deer.

I too can be mesmerized by a big rack. I too have dreams of killing a big old Texas 160” monster. But, at what expense. Would I be jealous if my lease mate shot “my deer”.

It’s just a deer.

Does it really matter if your neighbor shot the deer at four years old scoring 130” or waiting two years and shooting him at six years old and he scores 150. If he got enjoyment at shooting a 130 then what difference does it make. I’ve seen people call other people idiots for shooting a “young deer”. What difference does it make?

It’s just a deer.

When the good Lord put the animals here for us he said to have dominion over all the animals. Not just the trophies.

I have no problems with trophy hunting. In fact I like to shoot old deer. But I’m not in the business of putting my opinions on ther people. That is all. So my advice is simple whether you heed it or not. Remember, it’s just a deer.
                          I agree.
                          Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 12-18-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Good post Bud, I too read the post you are referring to. It puzzles me and I understand how it can happen.

On the other hand, I am that guy that sees other hunters I know shoot "my" target buck, (2 this season). It happens every year. So I could harbor bad feelings, but I don't, I make jest of the situation and congrats the hunter.

Comment

Well, I for one would not want to be a Lease Manager, talk about take the fun out of hunting!

Comment

For me, it's not just a deer. All I hunt are low fenced places, and I have never thought of a deer as just a deer. The deer I target are investments financially. They are thoughts that cross my mind throughout the day at work. They are many, many hours spent away from my wife and kids to put in the year around work and time in the stand just for a chance at an opportunity. They are my passion. They are a blessing. They are memories waiting to happen. So when I am unsuccessful in my pursuit, however that may happen, I have never said "oh well, he is just a deer". I can't help but feel disappointment.
                                Last edited by 44mAG; 12-18-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X