Gap vs Instinctive test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gap vs Instinctive test

I honestly can't tell you if I use the arrow at all in my shooting. I do remember shooting in almost complete darkness in the old DART system.

If you had a safe place, like an archery shop with a big wall, do you think you could put a very small lighted spot "like a luminock" and shoot at it in the complete darkness where you could not possible see your arrow?

Would this be a test for how "instinctive" you are actually shooting?

Can you think of any other way to do it?

Just something fun to think about.

That's a great idea and one I wish I had the facilities to try it in.

Comment

im no expert but i know i dont look at the arrow. i look pull and release. but i suck at it so maybe i should gap..

Comment

Well I just ran out in the yard and tried this my elevation is spot on but my windage opened up to about 12", 6" either way of the arrow with the luminock from 20 yards... What does that mean?

Comment

I consider myself an instinctive shooter, but I'm not sure if taking your sight picture away completely wouldnt effect the instinctive shooter. I would think it's a sight picture verses conscious gaping, but that seemed more like a muscle memory and feel test to me.... Very interesting results though.... Makes you think

Comment

Interesting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              I honestly can't tell you if I use the arrow at all in my shooting. I do remember shooting in almost complete darkness in the old DART system.

If you had a safe place, like an archery shop with a big wall, do you think you could put a very small lighted spot "like a luminock" and shoot at it in the complete darkness where you could not possible see your arrow?

Would this be a test for how "instinctive" you are actually shooting?

Can you think of any other way to do it?

Just something fun to think about.
              I have always heard if alot of people did this that say they are pure instinctive shooters they would find out they are not( I dont know this for sure).It is supposed to be totally black except the spot your shooting(no light spotting the target from behind you and you cannot see any part of your bow )I did it and did surprisingly well one time!
              Last edited by ShaBow; 09-07-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

They talked about this very thing on Masters of the Barebow (#2, I think). Anyway...it didn't work. Even the "instinctive" guys see the arrow/bow riser in their peripheral and subconsciencly use it to help line up their shot.

Comment

I shoot at night quite a bit we have a street lamp I use. I find a dark corner and shoot helps me stay focused with the target in the light and me in the dark nothing but the spot. You will be suprised how well you can shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    They talked about this very thing on Masters of the Barebow (#2, I think). Anyway...it didn't work. Even the "instinctive" guys see the arrow/bow riser in their peripheral and subconsciencly use it to help line up their shot.
                    My opinion is that this is correct. Peripheral vision is required for the subconscious brain to unconsciously put the bow hand where it needs to be (unconsciously).

I can kind of see where some are calling this gap shooting but to me, if I am not consciously directing my bowhand where to go then it is instinctive.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                      My opinion is that this is correct. Peripheral vision is required for the subconscious brain to unconsciously put the bow hand where it needs to be (unconsciously).

I can kind of see where some are calling this gap shooting but to me, if I am not consciously directing my bowhand where to go then it is instinctive.
                      Agreed. It should also be noted that these guys were shooting in a basement at night at a laser dot. So...as dark as it gets. Even starlight would've given them enough light to shoot more accurately.

Comment

I need to try it

Comment

You guys make some good points. I would like to set it up where you could see the ground between you and the target, have a good sight picture and the depth, but not see the arrow at all at rest. Don't know how you could set that up, but I think it might be educational.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                            You guys make some good points. I would like to set it up where you could see the ground between you and the target, have a good sight picture and the depth, but not see the arrow at all at rest. Don't know how you could set that up, but I think it might be educational.
                            maybe out of a ground blind at night....maybe with a really small shooting window.

Comment

I would think shooting with a lamp on the target would be doable because there would be a silhouette of the bow and arrow still to form a sight picture but the little red lighted nock is a bit different.... Even a candle would make a backdrop of light which would silhouette your bow and arrow..

Comment

Working...
                              X