Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hill and Ferguson are/were gap shooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill and Ferguson are/were gap shooters?

Working at the hospital today, and reading Become the Arrow between cases. Mr Ferguson, says that both he and Hill shoot gap method and that there is no such thing as instinctive shooting. Meaning that we always reference past shots and adjust from there, even if we aren't "aiming" down the arrow. I'm still new at this game, and the practice of gap shooting fits my brain make up, but how does one use the gap method without worrying about seeing the arrow in low light conditions or on moving targets? I'm guessing that practice will allow me to "set the gap" without being able to see the arrow tip? Am I way off base?

There is one gentleman on Masters of the Barebow that teaches the gap method, but he claims that after a while the gap an instinctive method merge as one. I can nearly see how that cam happen if you shoot enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Working at the hospital today, and reading Become the Arrow between cases. Mr Ferguson, says that both he and Hill shoot gap method and that there is no such thing as instinctive shooting. Meaning that we always reference past shots and adjust from there, even if we aren't "aiming" down the arrow. I'm still new at this game, and the practice of gap shooting fits my brain make up, but how does one use the gap method without worrying about seeing the arrow in low light conditions or on moving targets? I'm guessing that practice will allow me to "set the gap" without being able to see the arrow tip? Am I way off base?
      I learned a lot from Byron's book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember him saying that he was a gap shooter.

How the heck does he shoot aspirin out of the air and take the time to align and aim his gap and arrow tip? I ain't buying it!

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
        There is one gentleman on Masters of the Barebow that teaches the gap method, but he claims that after a while the gap an instinctive method merge as one. I can nearly see how that cam happen if you shoot enough.
        This is kind of what I got from Byron's book.

Comment

Mr Ferguson is correct in my opinion. Most people that shoot "instinctive" are really subconsciously gapping. In that I mean they do not see a specific gap at a specific yardage but their mind sees the arrow in the peripheral vision and then tells the bow hand where to go accordingly.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Mr Ferguson is correct in my opinion. Most people that shoot "instinctive" are really subconsciously gapping. In that I mean they do not see a specific gap at a specific yardage but their mind sees the arrow in the peripheral vision and then tells the bow hand where to go accordingly.

Bisch

you sir, are 110% correct!!

Comment

started with gap

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
              I learned a lot from Byron's book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember him saying that he was a gap shooter.

How the heck does he shoot aspirin out of the air and take the time to align and aim his gap and arrow tip? I ain't buying it!
              Yes, he started as a gap shooter and uses some pretty strong language about how he thinks that instinctive is a poke and pray way of doing it. The book says that most folks who become gap shooters stop progressing at a certain proficiency of gap shooting, just as many can shoot 80 in golf but will never be a scratch golfer, and that his system of becoming the arrow is the next step from gap shooting.

Comment

I find it very difficult to assume what and how anyone shoots. If I could figure out how all the greats like Hill, Ferguson, Bear and others shot I wouldn't be on a forum talking about it. Rather, I would be selling DVD's and books to people and holding clinics to teach others my finite way of obtaining dead on accuracy. Until then I will just keep practicing good form. I do know there is a distinct difference between conscious aiming and just zoning out and looking at a spot and shooting. If there are no reference points (much like alignment of a front and rear sight on a gun) in your line of vision then how can there be an aiming system? Some people shoot with such a low anchor point that it can be virtually impossible.

Comment

On the program I watched the other night that featured Byron, he stated that he shot a 90/10 ratio. 90% focus on target and 10% on arrow.

Comment

This

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                    I find it very difficult to assume what and how anyone shoots. If I could figure out how all the greats like Hill, Ferguson, Bear and others shot I wouldn't be on a forum talking about it. Rather, I would be selling DVD's and books to people and holding clinics to teach others my finite way of obtaining dead on accuracy. Until then I will just keep practicing good form. I do know there is a distinct difference between conscious aiming and just zoning out and looking at a spot and shooting. If there are no reference points (much like alignment of a front and rear sight on a gun) in your line of vision then how can there be an aiming system? Some people shoot with such a low anchor point that it can be virtually impossible.
                    Yes sir, I agree. Back to the yard for more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Yes sir, I agree. Back to the yard for more practice.
                      X2

Comment

I shoot better when I have total focus on the spot I want to hit. I hunt this way, I can not see how A gap shooter can fine his or her gap in a hunting situation bacause things happen so quickly. Anyway pick a spot and dont take your eyes off until the arrow hits. Happy hunting.

Comment

I don't believe Byron about there not being instinctive shooting. I have two friends that shoot instinctive and I can assure him that they do just that. Both anchor so low that it would be impossible to gap to any thing including the bow. They say they anchor low so they have no chance of seeing their arrow. Neither of these guys even stop at anchor, they slide into it and the arrow is gone. They both shoot just as well in the dark as they do in the light. They are both good shots, some times even great shots.

Most people that say they shoot instinctive, do really gap. They just don't admit it and work on their system to refine it. I think, (maybe flawed) that people that hold a long time are not shooting instinctive. If it was instinctive it would all be fluid like my two friends.

I can under stand, Widdler, why you have trouble grasping the gap in hunting situations. You really should try it, you know, just to make sure that it doesn't work for you. I shot instinctive for over 30 years and I truly understand it. However I just lost my ability to concentrate on a spot and would draw the bow and just hold it and hold it and never know I was on or not. I went to gap shooting and fine tuned it to fit me. I truly wish that I had never shot instinctive at all, I feel it's that good. It has some very strong points to it. I can pick up a bow that I have never shot before and be on in 2 shots. It doesn't matter if it's high, low or left or right. I can gap the difference. Bisch will back me up on this, he has seen me do it. It would be impossible to do this instinctive. Different lighting can adversely affect an instinctive shooter. Side light will make you shoot to the light or the light side of your target. Shooting toward a light will make you shoot low and with the light behind you will shoot high. It has to do with the sight picture our eyes have and our instincts acting on it. None of this has any affect on gapping what so ever. Shooting along a side hill, an instinctive shooter will tend to shoot to the down hill side of his target. Not so gapping. When I lay off shooting for months at a time I don't need to hone my instincts back in ike I used to. I just put the point where I know it needs to be and shoot, and I'm on.

Getting on target is really just as fast gapping as instinctive. The aiming is taking place as you draw the bow. You don't figure it in an exact gap or measurement, that's just until you figure it out. You put the point of the arrow where it needs to be automatically, instinctively, if you will, for what ever range it is.

Comment

Thanks Draco! Your last paragraph is what I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                              Use the force Luke!

I agree with you completely I don't understand how it can work.

Comment

Working...
                              X