Fredericksburg on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fredericksburg on a budget?

My wife’s birthday is coming up. We have an infant at home and my mother-in-law offered to take care of our little one if we wanted to take an overnight trip. I’m thinking Fredericksburg.

What would y’all recommend for a quick overnight trip to Fredericksburg on a budget? Are hotel rooms readily available on Saturday nights in September? I’m thinking we could go see Enchanted Rock and visit a winery or two. Do most of the wineries have walk-in tasting rooms, or is that something that needs to be booked in advance? Other recommended activities?

Any advice is appreciated.

It can be expensive or budget friendly. We stayed at Angels Lodge Above the Creek and at the time we went felt it was reasonably affordable and really nice. It was also walking distance to all of downtown.

Comment

Most of the wineries have walk up tasting rooms. That won't be an issue at all.

Lodging in September can be tricky.

Comment

I'm no help with lodging, VRBO has some nice B&B type places though. As for the wineries, places like Grapecreek and Becker Vineyards have walk up tastings no problem. If you go on one of the winery tours they usually come with tastings. Once you've done a winery tour, they're all pretty much the same just pay for the tasting after that.

Comment

Breakfast at Rathskeller, hands down. Get one of the specials, I think it's duck, salmon or beef tenderloin... Can't remember I know they are labeled on the menu. Also Der Lindenbaum is great for a quality schnitzel.

Comment

Fredericksburg and budget don’t belong in the same sentence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
              Fredericksburg and budget don’t belong in the same sentence

Hence the overnight trip...

I would go broke if we stayed any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                Breakfast at Rathskeller, hands down. Get one of the specials, I think it's duck, salmon or beef tenderloin... Can't remember I know they are labeled on the menu. Also Der Lindenbaum is great for a quality schnitzel.

This guys got good taste!!![emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                  Duck for breakfast? Whiskey T Foxtrot!
                  Wth is a schnitzel?

Comment

A schnitzel is meat, usually thinned by pounding with a meat tenderizer, that is fried in some kind of oil or fat. The term is most commonly used to refer to meats coated with flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs, and then fried, but some variants such as Walliser Schnitzel are not breaded. Originating in Austria, the breaded schnitzel is popular in many countries and made using either veal, mutton, chicken, beef, turkey, reindeer, or pork. It is very similar to the French dish escalope, and the milanesa of Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina.

Per Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      A schnitzel is meat, usually thinned by pounding with a meat tenderizer, that is fried in some kind of oil or fat. The term is most commonly used to refer to meats coated with flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs, and then fried, but some variants such as Walliser Schnitzel are not breaded. Originating in Austria, the breaded schnitzel is popular in many countries and made using either veal, mutton, chicken, beef, turkey, reindeer, or pork. It is very similar to the French dish escalope, and the milanesa of Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina.

Per Wikipedia
                      Gotcha! We just call that chicken fried.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Yep

Comment

I'd jump on one of the wine tours. You buy like a day pass and can jump on their buses as they go around to each winery. That way you can see more than a couple and don't have to worry about driving.

We always VRBO, but we usually stay a couple days and are going with other couples. So it's a little more friendly that way. There are some B&B type places that might allow you to only stay one night -- there are a lot of places that will require a minimum 2 night stay. Just be on the look out for it.

Wife also always goes to that **** Christmas store and spends $100 on an ornament. I'd stay the hell outta there if you're trying to stick to a budget and your wife likes that sort of stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            Hence the overnight trip...

I would go broke if we stayed any longer.

I go broke when I stay the night lol

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Yeah, but then you don't get the joy of saying veinerrrr schnitzel!

Comment

Working...
                              X