Small problem with newly constructed fishing dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small problem with newly constructed fishing dock

Has anyone else experienced this? OK so we started building the dock while also still digging the big pond. Instead of a spillway, we used two large culverts to establish the normal pool level. The culverts sit under the ranch road that is also the dam. The dock is constructed of thick metal pipe for the vertical supports. The holes in the pond bottom for the pipes were drilled as deep as the auger would go. We then used a large excavator to lift the long pipes into the holes and then pushed them past the depth of the holes by several feet. They went in as far as the excavator could push them in. The pipes were aligned and cemented in place.

A transit was used to get a measurement of the culverts to determine where to mark the normal water level on the pipes for the dock. We then measured above the marks so far to determine the dock walkway height. Each pipe was carefully marked. The total length of the dock is probably under 150 feet. The far end of the dock is lower to the normal water level by approximately 6 inches or maybe more. That end expands out into a large rectangle. All four corners there sit the exact same distance above the water but definitely lower than the rest of the dock.

What gives here? It didn't sink did it? I don't see how it could and do it evenly. Me thinks something else is the reason. Just not certain.

The pond filled up before the dock was finished. So boats will have to be used to help finish the work.
    Last edited by Worksalot; 03-13-2018, 06:46 PM.

1. Transit needs calibration.
    or
    2. Some error with grade pole operation.
    or
    3. Transit tripod wasn't level when initial readings were done.
    or
    4. Somebody don't know how to read a grade pole or operate a level.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I guarantee you it was one of those four possibilities. Not a very good chance of the dock sinking with the way y'all set them and certain not all pilings sinking exactly the same amount.

Comment

Your first mistake was building a pond when you should have built a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        or
        or
        or

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I guarantee you it was one of those four possibilities. Not a very good chance of the dock sinking with the way y'all set them and certain not all pilings sinking exactly the same amount.
        It may be #4. Now that I think about it, I wasnt there at all times but heard that two different people may have used the transit and used two different reference lines.

Comment

or
          or
          or

I have nothing to add to this. Spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
            It may be #4. Now that I think about it, I wasnt there at all times but heard that two different people may have used the transit and used two different reference lines.
            Yessir. If they weren't both using the same TBM then that too could be the problem. That could fall under #2 or #4.

Comment

I also would go with 4. I've built a lot of 200' ft plus towers. Can't tell you how many times I've had someone shooting the transit, and it be off by a ft or more, and they tell me, "It's dead straight".
              Things that are obvious to some people, aren't too obvious to others.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	24534031

And listen to Curt... One area he knows his stuff

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  [ATTACH]900422[/ATTACH]

And listen to Curt... One area he knows his stuff
                  ....and boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                    Your first mistake was building a pond when you should have built a tank.

Unless there are jogging trails or a park bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

or
                      or
                      or

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                      Guarantee it was #4 if 2 different people set up transit 2 different times

Comment

Working...
                      X